Goat Rolling her neck around - just playing?

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
EggsForIHOP said:
LOL - no, but I think that night he said a little prayer I would lose the bander...because i DID when we moved!
:gig

.....or did you...:)

He sound like my other half:)

Blarneyeggs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just got our very first goat AND she is doing this.....I panicked, gave it a 'google' and ended up here. THANK You all, got some relief, and quite a few chuckles. You people are funny!

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think it has to do with their field of view which is pretty wide. They literally don't have to turn around to see behind them. So with just rolling their head up, they can pretty much see 360 degree. One of my goats does that all the time. I think he is just checking the view around him without moving the body. He is also one of my smarter goats.

Syman Says Farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is good to know! I would've freaked out seeing this too... Glad it was nothing serious for Chaos (love the name, btw)

lapiloto

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Mine do this too- well the does anyway and one more than the other. I think she is being silly although the phantom horn theory sounds plausible. When she does it, she reminds me of being little and hanging upside down on the swing set. maybe they are having fun?

Evergreen160

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So glad I found this thread! I just posted about this. I have a wether that does this and he taught his buddy, my younger doe, to do it too! Only odd thing is that they first jump up so that their front legs are on the fence or up on the wall and then swing their heads around! I was starting to worry that they had some weird neurologic condition!

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
hannahbanana3 said:
My goats always do it, I dont know why. Just a goat thing.
My neighbor and I have several breeds apiece and for some reason our Saanens do it FAR more than the other goats. We wanted to get some t-shirts made with goats rolling their heads with a caption that says "It's a Saanen thing--you wouldn't get it."