Goat shelter

emzee

Just born
Reaction score
We are thinking about getting some pygmy goats and I was wondering what kind of shelter we should build for them. We live in Georgia so our winters are pretty mild. Thanks for any advice!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Sheds usually work nicely. I'm not sure about what the needs are in Georgia since I'm in Ohio and we have our winters. No matter what, good ventilation is a must. I like the ability to lock them up if need be. We have a barn so my goats get a couple of the stalls in the barn.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Make it someplace they wouldn't mind terribly to spend a few days in, because that happens pretty frequently with goats. Almost any kind of precipitation will keep them cooped up. There's no fate worse to a goat than to get wet.

Basically, if it's big enough for them to stretch their legs and walk around a bit, has a place to throw a few flakes of hay and something to hang a water bucket on, it should be good. What's better is if it's got all that plus secure storage for hay, grain, equipment, etc.. If you can manage running electricity and water to it, you'll be MUCH happier... Trust me when I tell you that running water beats walking water any day of the week.

mavrick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I keep mine in a three sided shelter, I put pine needles in it to keep them warm works good

Wildsky

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a barn for mine, but folks down the road have a three sided shelter, and then the fencing around the pasture is electric.

Renegade

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My back pasture has a barn and the front pasture has a shed. I prefer the barn because the goats have more room and my hay and feed storage is in there. Just make sure if you use sheds they are big enough to keep from crowding the goats.

Donna :)

Cottage Cheese

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hahaha, I use a dog house for my pygmy girls; it works like a charm :). Usually, it will not rain for more than 2 days straight in cali, and we also let them sleep on our porches if need be; spoiled girls!!!

mylilchix

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Our 2 new girls are in an XL dogloo which I found for free on the side of the road. It's in brand new condition, too!!

Sonja

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have mini nubians but they fit into what was originally intended as a dog area. My dogs live in the house!
But this area had chain link all around a small building which we use for storage. Next to the building was a three sided lean-to that my husband re-roofed. We put a door on this so we can open it up or close them in (like at night). We put different bedding down and food and water inside. It rains alot here so they do hang out inside. We really only have room for about four or five goats because of how small our enclosure is and currently have three.

The enclosure was built on multi-level land so they really like that part about it. We gave them some stuff to climb on too. Since there isn't alot of pasture we have to free feed hay. We want to create some portable fencing for next spring so we can get them doing some brush clearing for us.