Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lambs have little resistance to worms. In time you and I both will get cross fencing up to reserve fallow pasture for lambing. It will help. Good news is, fall,frost, winter is coming and worms will go dormant. I sure need the break after the spring and summer I’ve had.
Good news, the 7 ewe lambs that I kept are starting to grow. They certainly had their setbacks but look like they are having a growth spurt.

That fencing looks real good. Being netting, y’all can move it around if you want to.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH said last night we are short of reaching the pasture fencing with the electronet. The Premier guy, Tad, called me this morning since I had left a message about something else. I had not had my forst cup of coffee and was brain dead but was able to ask questions. He looked up the electronet I had ordered and we were able to discuss strength of chargers, etc. Apparently because the electronet has 11 strands of wire the Gallagher 0.3 joule charger will only power one roll. :oops: I ordered a much larger solar charger 2.4 joules that wll power 8 sections. I also ordered 3 more sections of electronet because DH said we were short. Then I called DS1 who said we only needed 1 section of electronet to finish and not to order any more until he makes sure the electronet fencing works. He os wprroed that the horses will knock it down. I called Tad back and cut the electronet order to one 164' roll. Left the order on the 2.4 joule charger instead of dropping it to a less powerful one since more is better when it comes to electrc fencing. This charger has 2 replaceable batteries and can be charged by plugging it in to 120 outlet. Also can be powered that way as well in emergencies or while charging the bateries.

I figure that even with permanent fencing the electric fencing can be used to fence off pastures when reseeding, for smaller areas for lambs, rams, horses?, etc.

Had to reheat coffee for first cup. Gotta go drink it to activate brain cells! :caf

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
NEVER look at the "miles" thing... JOULES... is what is necessary. A 2 joule charger is MINIMAL, and I think that they are about as big as a solar charger goes. If there is any way to do it as a plug in, do it.... That will set anything that touches them on their butt....Including the horses...
I thought I had discussed it... OH yeah... it is on @canesisters thread when she was having trouble with Blossom getting out.... she had to do some rewiring... but the charger was most of the problem...
Since the guy at Premiere advised you, he would have made sure it is a "low impedance" charger ... that is the only kind to use with netting or even the poly wire type of fencing... The older chargers will not work with any of the poly wire/ poly braid/ electric netting... it will cause fires. They have to be listed Low impedance... it is a pulsing type charge and will not cause the poly stuff to melt or catch on fire....
I wouldn't use a .3 joule charger on anything...

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The large charger I ordered s a 2.4 joule charger it is the largest one they sell. It can be plugged in through the charger port as well as to charge the batteries if there os no solar charge available.

"New! High-output electric fence energizer. 30 watt solar panel keeps the 12V battery charged and your fence functional. Effectively contains domestic livestock while keeping out ground-based predators."

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH s pacing to leave for CA tomorrow. I needed a few things from the house so sent him a list like he asked. Waste of time! He called and both he and DS1 argued over where to fimd the items while I tried to tell them where to look. Then the debated whether a curling iron ws a hair straightener or a curling iron. Really? :smack Just listen and I will tell you where the items are and what they look like. Since I have to tell you on the phone why did I need to text you a list?

According to DS1 I can never die because no family member will be able to take care of DH. :hide

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Effectively contains domestic livestock while keeping out ground-based predators."
Not my goats. :lol: yeah, neither unit. Only the strong plug in. It takes less once they are hit heavy, couple times.

You know this 😁 why am I even posting. Of course, your dogs do help and they're sheep....but, you know.