Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
What books are you reading!?!!
@SageHill asked this in another thread where we were talking about rattlesakes and poison/venom. That uestion had to do with snake venom. The answer to my reading tastes is so long that I figured for any readers out there I would put this answer in my thread.

I like most murder mysteries as well as humorous, quirky and historical ones. I like fantsy and sci-fi, older British fiction, and non-fiction (Gerald Durrell and his books about his early life on Corfu and later life as a wildlife collector for zoo). Also when I find an author I like I buy everything he/she wrote. I have several series where the protagonists train/show dogs (Laurien Berenson, Susan Conant) also the entire output of Joan Hess (2 series set in Arkansas), Lindsey Davis (2 series set in ancient Rome), Maddy Hunter, Nancy Fairbanks, Sarah Graves (home remodeling), Donna Andrews, Sue Grafton, Dick Francis (British horse racing), Elizabeth Peters (historical series archaeology, and multiple other mysteries), Ellis Peters (historical), Catherine Ard (British) etc., etc. and many more too numerous to specify. Not to mention the entire output of Louis L'Amour, Sci-Fi (starting with Andre Norton as a teenager), and fantasy. Don't forget P. G. Wodehouse and his hysterical tales about the aristocacy in 1920-30's England and Jeeves. Never got rid of a book that I read and enjoyed. Rarely loan out books because they don't come back. My dream was always to have a house with a giant library. 🤓

Our whole family are voracious readers and we never go anywhere without a book. Kindle has been a Godsend to us since we used to pack an entire suitcase devoted to books when going on vacation! Most of us are also very fast readers. Luckily I was been able to transfer some of my books onto Kindle since it took half the trailer just for the boxes of books going to Texas. Some are not available on Kindle so have to keep the print versions.

I have left out a lot of wonderful authors whose books I have safely in my bookcases at home or my Kindle. If you saw my pictures of the bookcases on either side of my desk in Texas, those books are double stacked and only half of what is back there. The rest will go in bookcases in the spare bedroom once it is set up. 😄

If you have a favorite author you think I would like, please list it.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lately here any book with a dog in it hits my read list. Yeah, gone to the dogs. I think it all started with Dean Koontz's books with dogs. Some about his Golden Trixie, and then several typical to his style.
Currently finishing up Chase Ryder Series by Jo Ho
Silent Partner - One K9 Cop, One Serial Killer, Jennifer Chase
Jerry McNeal Series, Sherry A Burton
K9 Outlaw: Kelton Jager (series) , Charles Wendt
Then there's a ton with SAR

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got to check those authors out.

Also Jo Beth Sidden's bloodhound series! And another favorite series that I am currently rereading (no dogs but crazy situations) - Jana DeLeon's Fortune series about a CIA field agent with a price on her head hiding out in a small town in Louisiana bayou country. Guns and gators! First time around I laughed so hard my family tried to give me CPR! Laughing just as much second time around.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
How about Carl Hiaasen? No dogs, a PI in FL. Sleuth and laughter killers included and gators of course.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our whole family are voracious readers and we never go anywhere without a book. Kindle has been a Godsend to us since we used to pack an entire suitcase devoted to books when going on vacation! Most of us are also very fast readers. Luckily I was been able to transfer some of my books onto Kindle since it took half the trailer just for the boxes of books going to Texas. Some are not available on Kindle so have to keep the print versions.

I have left out a lot of wonderful authors whose books I have safely in my bookcases at home or my Kindle. If you saw my pictures of the bookcases on either side of my desk in Texas, those books are double stacked and only half of what is back there. The rest will go in bookcases in the spare bedroom once it is set up. 😄

If you have a favorite author you think I would like, please list it.
Never argue with someone who's TV is larger than their bookshelf.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like DH is planning to sink a new well. The water line into the groid os wrtten as dgalvanized so I need to see the bid and ask abut lining it with PVC. The old well line is pitted from minerals in the soil. I don't want the new line to go that way too. Some people have told me that the water lines should be PVC to avoid that problem.