Goat VS. Sheep

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Perhaps you could be a little more specific... I'm sure you are asking more than the obvious that they are two different species.

ArtisticFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Southern by choice said:
Perhaps you could be a little more specific... I'm sure you are asking more than the obvious that they are two different species.
Oh, hehe, sorry! What are the different uses for them, what character traits are different, if they both give milk etc.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
ArtisticFarmer said:
Southern by choice said:
Oh, hehe, sorry! What are the different uses for them, what character traits are different, if they both give milk etc.
Sheep
Uses:
- Meat (lamb chops!)
- Wool (wool sweaters)
- Dairy (roquefort, ricotta cheeses)

* Tend to be easy to fence
* Flock together
* Grazers (better for pastures)
* Susceptible to copper toxicity

Goats
Uses:
- Dairy (milk, cheese)
- Meat (chevon)
- Fiber (mohair, cashmere)

* Escape artists
* Tend to have poor flocking instincts
* Browsers (better for brushy/woody areas)
* Curious, friendly

CCassity

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sheep are easier to maintain, they don't eat everything and stay behind fences. I have 3 dorper ewes, 1 ram and 2 lambs with more on the way. In the summer months I sometimes forget I have them because there so easy, only have to change there water once a week and they keep my pasture mowed for me. They also bring themselves back into the smaller pasture closer to my house at night. My neighbors both have goats and they eat everything including the trees asfar up as they can reach standing on there hind legs, there also horrible on fences. Unless your looking for milk is go with sheep, I have mine for meat so I have the hair sheep no shearing required.:)