goats milk cheese question

noobiechickenlady

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Raw all the way now for just over a month, absolutely no problems. Cheese, yogurt, drinking it straight.

Best friend's son had way more problems with storebought than he did with my goat's raw milk.

Keep everything clean & your equpiment sterile, and unless the goats are sickly, you shouldn't have any problems.

Lot of fear of raw milk out there, some of it justified by dirty "organic" farms but there are more sicknessness documented on pasturized milk.

Blue Dog Farms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Cant wait to try our girls milk. We tried goats milk from the store and where not impressed the first time, tried again and it wasnt bad. Tried goat cheese from the store and it was awful, tried angain and liked it sooo Im thinking if we milk our own girls and its fresh hopefully we will love it. We have 4 kids and are wanting to start living a healthier life style and from what I hear about goats milk Im think raw is how we will do it. I use nothing but local goats milk soap and love it! Cant wait to make that too!! :D

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm with freemotion, can't drink store bought milk either. I can drink raw goats milk without a problem. Also decided to stagger breedings to have constant supply of raw milk. I agree I wouldn't drink raw milk from many places but feel very safe drinking our milk. Our animals are healthy, clean and the equipment we milk with is sanitary and the milk chilled right away.

mydakota

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am with freemotion all the way. Can you get sick from raw milk? Yes. But it is far more likely and common to get sick from store bought milk. Not only that, but while pasteurization DOES kill any bad bugs in the raw milk, It kills most of the good, nourishing stuff too. And what it doesn't kill, it renders undigestable, and therefore unbeneficial. Any thing you put in your body is a risk. I will take my chances on real food eaten the way nature made it. Use common sense. Keep your goats healthy and their accomodations clean. Follow good sanitation practices on both your goats and your equipment. Educate yourself, and make the decision that is right for you.

We have been raw for a year now. My sons eczema is nearly gone. My husband has not had a diverticulitis attack in that entire time. Both of those things were routine problems when on store bought dairy products.

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
After doing my research, we decided to drink the (goat) milk raw. My husband still chooses to only use goat milk that I have cooked. My son and I, however, enjoy goat milk and now prefer raw goat milk over regular milk and would never drink regular milk again if I could always get raw goat milk. Our goats have milk that is sweeter and better than cow milk, there is no "goaty" taste whatsoever.

I have shared my soft cheeses with friends and family with no ill effects. I have mentioned to people that it was made with raw milk so they could make their own choice however. If your daughter does not want any, all the more for you!