Goats not eating feed?

bigmike

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My goats have stopped eating the feed I have been feeding them.I have let them out into the large fenced pasture where they have plenty of browse and have been giving limbs trimmed off some of our trees and bushes.They have water, minerals, Alfalfa hay and the pellets that I have been feeding with no problem. But now they aren't eating the pellets. Is this because they are getting enough from the pasture and the tree trimmings?I am going to keep offering some feed but actually think they are OK without it.The goats are a 6 month Lamancha doeling, a 6 month ND Doeling and a 5 month ND wether.Any help would be greatly appreciated.....................Mike

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is the feed the same, Is it moldy? I keep my young ones on one feeding a day after 3months, and then just once a day untill they are doing their own with browse and hay, Never saw one walk away from feed thou.

bigmike

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes it is the same feed they have been getting out of the same bag.It is not moldy and has not been wet or anything.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I bet they are full, full, full.

Just give them a small handful and be thankful you're saving on feed right now!!

DonnaBelle

marlowmanor

Reaction score
I'm curious myself what you figure out is the problem. My goats just got moved to a whole new area that they have plenty of browse in and they don't refuse their feed. All are adults though. Their feed is what gets them into their night time area.

Maybe they are just getting full on the browse they have now and are going through a picky teenage stage? :hu

bigmike

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
OK, got home from work and went to check on the goats..Took them some branches for them to eat.Also checked their feed trough and they have nibbled on it.They ate a little while I was down there.So I guess everything is ok, I think they are just full from the browse and tree branches.They were lively and alert, wanted to follow me into the chickens to eat the chicken feed but I kept them out........Mike