Goats or cow??

Lil-patch-of-heaven

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Venturing ot here but ... I do think it's the llama that is eating the pasture grass. I had to cut it once but since then (so far) it is staying under contol. I do see her grazing it and I pretty much never see any of the goats eating grass. The llama does spend more time trying to get the leaves she can't reach on the trees though and certain of the weeds are definite favorites. My experience has been as you have animals that pick out the weeds, the grass takes over and when that happens I'm afraid I might be out there cutting it again. I have a little flock of geese to turn out there though ...

And back on topic -- I like the votes for both, lol. If I can do that in future I will. I would like a greater qty of milk and esp a better variety of cheeses. Fresh whipped cream sounds nice too. :). Even though cow plops don't lol -- that's what a compost pile is for I suppose. :)

so far I'm not quite far enough ahead on my milk to make cheese or soap and forget butter. Sigh .... Maybe when these kids are fully weaned (and SOMEone has started nursing my main milk doe -- I know she can't sometimes be failing to make milk on one side and a couple days later only half filling the other. Sneaky greedy kids, lol!)

eta: Patty, the pic of your calf just loaded and she's a cutie! Looks like she has a heart on her face. :)

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm on the goat side. Look into A1-A2 milk issues. There was an interview in Acres USA awhile back with the guy that wrote "The Devil in the Milk", or check the book out at the library to get all the details. All goats are A2 and doesn't cause milk phlegm after drinking it, or the host of other A1 potential problems. Not all cows are A1 but most in the US are so you'd be looking at testing specific individuals for the protein mutation, if that's even possible or a concern for you. And no off flavors here. The way it's handled is most important in that area, getting it cold as fast as possible. You can still make butter with it but you just need a cream separator and they're not too bad on ebay. (I haven't bought one yet, just thinking about it.) And I throw the manure right in the garden (as opposed to having to compost the chicken poo due to it being too rich for the garden straight away) and use the soiled bedding in the paths to keep the weeds down. They're perfect for my needs.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I debated the whole cow-vs-goat thing myself. Cow seemed too big and expensive and more milk than we realistically needed, and not sure I wanted to milk nearly all year round. Goat seemed challenging to fence, not sure about 'goatiness' of milk, and oh my gosh goat kids are SO cute, what if I had to sell some for meat if I couldn't find homes for them.

So I have sheep :)

It is working so far, although, ask me next year when I'm (hopefully) milking the two dairybred ones (right now just got a cranky little shetland that doesn't give much milk)

Good luck with your decision,

Pat

promiselandfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Depends on your needs. Cows will not jump on you car and get out as easily as a goat will. A goat has to have more attention on fencing than a cow. But can and will eat almost anything requires less space. A cow requires more space. Depends on your personal taste as to what type of milk and butter you like so that one would really be up to you. Goats can almost mass produce. I have a nanny who has three at a time each time and one that has twins. Most cows only have one at a time and only once a year. Goats only take 5 months so freshening time is less. I have had both prefer the cow to the goats but right now have the goats... so there is my 2 cents take it or leave oh and the electric fencing does not bother them at all they just walk right through.

rondam24

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow - looks like the majority voted for having both! Actually I would like both - goats to eat the weeds and a cow for the grass. We have 3 acres of old field that has quite a variety of grasses with some goldenrod, briars and a few small pine trees mixed in. The field hasn't been cultivated for 20 years or so. I know that goats would love the briars but am unsure if they would eat the grass. It's already getting quite tall. From what some of you have said maybe the goats would clear out the weeds so that more grass would grow and then the field would be better suited to a cow in a year or two?

There are quite a few unregistered Alpines around and most of the cows are Holsteins (too big). I would love a small Jersey or Dexter (42" tall) But they are hard to find in upsate NY (special hello to Mea!) This may sound stupid but for some reason the idea of a family cow seems more nostalgic to me. More in tune with my roots. But goat berries are better than cow pies! Actually that is a concern - right now we are buying raw milk from a local dairy farm and whenever I go in the barn, even if it's just for a few minutes, the smell comes home with me. It seems to cling to my hair. I wonder if that would be an issue with only one cow?

Realistically, I guess my choices will be limited to what's available locally. We are trying to find goat farmers and a farm with Jerseys nearby that we can visit to see the different breeds.

Thanks to all!

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
rondam24 said:
From what some of you have said maybe the goats would clear out the weeds so that more grass would grow and then the field would be better suited to a cow in a year or two?

There are quite a few unregistered Alpines around and most of the cows are Holsteins (too big). I would love a small Jersey or Dexter (42" tall) But they are hard to find in upsate NY (special hello to Mea!) This may sound stupid but for some reason the idea of a family cow seems more nostalgic to me.

Thanks to all!
(waving back)...

The goats would help clear the fields. Also if You sub-divided the field into smaller areas...it would confine them a bit and encourage them to clean up a bit more.

What part of upstate NY are You ?? The show season is about to start up with one in Altamont at the end of May. Then a couple in Syracuse in June, i believe.

Google is a good wayto locate breeders of specific breeds. When You find one...often they have links to others. ( it's fun chasing information)

Nostalgia is Great !! Reality is yet another thing. DH really, really wanted a Jersey. She was so cute as a calf.:love We loved her ...she loved us. Until she got bigger... and wanted to be with us, and the danged fence tried to stop her ! Once she got thru a couple times... we could not keep her in. DH had sell her.

rondam24

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Chandasue, thanks for mentioning A1/A2 milk. I had never heard of that before. And unfortunately when I called the local livestock vet to ask if he tested for it he said he had no idea what I was talking about! This is a concern to me. I have been buying coconut milk($11 gallon) or lactaid ($7 gallon) for my daughter because regular milk causes her to cough or clear her throat constantly. After switching to raw milk these symptoms have greatly diminished. So this seems to be another point in favor of goats -unless I can find a way to get a potential cow tested. If we are going to raise our own milk I want it to be as healthy as possible for my family's sake.

Mea, I live near Oneonta. We are going to visit a small goat farm Friday. My daughter googled for me and found a few others that we can visit in Delaware and Otsego counties.
My children are very impatient-want to get an animal now but we still have plenty of time to look around. We don't even have a barn/shed or fence up yet!

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
rondam24: I'm not surprised the vet isn't in the know about A1/A2... The US is a bit behind on these things. Kudos to New Zealand for taking the issue seriously. It's a really interesting article and I've been meaning to request the book at the library. We've felt much better since switching to raw goat milk and I just have to laugh to myself when people pull their noses up at the thought of drinking raw milk in general, much less goat milk. If they only knew... :rolleyes: