Goats or cow??

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
It is difficult to get enough cream from goat's milk to make butter. Very little will rise to the top, so you need a separator, at about $400. I can get a few tablespoons from a gallon of milk that has been sitting in the fridge for a few days, and it is tricky. The milk doesn't have the carotenes that cow's milk has, so the cream is very white and the butter is very white.

If you use a separator, you end up with skim milk when you are done. :sick Good for the pigs and chickens....

I saved cream in containers in the freeze for weeks and weeks, until I had enough to make butter. I made about six little 4 oz jars... precious stuff! I think it is about $45 per pound online. So I have had some seriously gourmet popcorn....topped with goat butter and grated feta, to die for!

But you really need a Jersey cow for serious butter making. Oh, one day!

2.5 acres of pasture should be plenty, especially if you use intensive rotational grazing methods.

Yates Dairy

Just born
Reaction score
I would say 2 goats.. I would usually say cows but (and this is just my opinion) I would want 2 cows instead of one to keep each other company.