Good Goat gone bad ???? I'm new to this.

theawesomefowl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You really need to get rid of him!!!!! Bucks can kill people!!!! I wouldnt trust him, even if you like him.
The only male animal I'd cOnsider safe is my Serama rooster. He is in my avatar.

LollingontheFarm

Just born
Reaction score
KellyM thats how Max was until just recently! Loving, stinking me up but respecting me! We never rub the goats heads or act aggressive to them. When I got rid of "Wilbur" the mean killer goat and retained Max I thought I'd become the ultimate goat herder "Smart/respected/experienced" but Max has definately put me in my place.
I'm wondering if having 2 bucks during rut this season and then selling the other has made the difference? (scratching my head here) He learned to be aggressive in breeding and pushing this guy aside now the other buck is gone but his "aggressive" breeding style is here to stay.
Max is in the calf pen happily eating with Hamburger and sleeping in the addition stall with him.
I really want to try the "sit on his back with legs pushed down" idea but I've gotten so arthritic lately I don't think I could pull it off so Max will stay in the calf pen for now.
I couldn't help feeling a bit personal about Max's behavior toward me but he is a goat and I'm not. :)

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Lolling - was he by himself? Maybe he just needed someone with him so he could play and get his aggression out. I have 4 Nigerian males and when I come into the pen, all they want is some love from me. But they bang the heck out of each other.

cutechick2010

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Lollingonthefarm- is the buck you have now the son of the aggressive one you sold? They do pass that bad attitude on from father to son. My suggestion would be to get a buck from different lines, JMO.

To the OP: I may have missed this if you said it, but how old is your buck? Is he horned? In my humble opinion, I would not own this buck. Rut or no rut, no way would I keep an animal that would attack me repeatedly. If you can't get rid of him, it probably would be a good idea to at least get him castrated.
Oh, and just a side note-if you breed your doe ( I think you said they are Boers?) to a Nubian buck, you can get some really good milkers from that combo.

Theykeepmebusy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wow!!! I didn't even realize this post was still going on, my apologies to everyone!!! I still have Jackson, he has calmed down, now have more does, I've gone from my 2 to now 11, 5 Boers, 2 Boer/Pygmy crosses, delivered my first baby and just today got 2 Pygmy bucks, one I will not be keeping, he is so mean and aggressive, I would rather handle Jackson (buck that started this thread) than this little guy. and this week I will have 3 Nubian doe kids!!! I never turn my back on Jackson even though he is a pretty sweet guy, we built him a pen, gave him a tarp and a crate and that is the only time you ever see him be "aggressive" is if you try to touch his tarp or crate, he will turn so fast and run to them, then rub up on them as if you hurt them. I don't know, he just loves them now. When he does escape, 2 times now, our own mistakes for thinking he just wasn't that smart, my girls will let me know, they scream and yell for me, the crazy is out and I never handle him alone.
I have read and learned and continue to educate myself on these great animals, my beasties :p , I do love them and am happy that I was lucky enough to have Lilly and Jackson, my first 2 goats.
Now I am off to search about this very mean pygmy, if anyone has some input , they are father and son, where I got them they had them penned together and I guess just let them beat the heck out of each other, more or less let father beat the heck out of son, son is who I plan on keeping, he's a blue eyed sweetie, but for whatever reason , the breeder would NOT let me take one, they need each other......it's both or none..........now I'm seeing it as cruel to have them together, because the father constantly beats up his son!!!!! From what I have read, lots of people have their bucks together , but what if one is just to sweet, until I can find a new home for the dad, should I keep them together? I'm talking it's constant, son will be laying down, snoozing away and dad will just knock him one in the gut. Am I wrong or right? I understand it's their behavior , natural , but I don't want blue eyed sweetie to get hurt.

p.s.- I have been attacked by a broody hen who tore me up and 2 roosters, greatest chickens, beautiful, but I guess I crossed their boundaries , the roosters refused to let me enter without attacking so they ended up in the freezer, hen well I'd go ape if someone came near my babies. :) Oh and Jackson learned to respect the hot wire, low voltage, if and when he does get out, all I have to do is hold up a wire (he stayed behind one for a couple months) and he will kneel down like I'm the queen. :D I loves him.