Grade...what does it mean?

Jared77

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks and good to know. Do they have to be ADGA or AGS in order to be shown in 4H?

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I really don't know the answer to that one. But I'm sure someone who shows 4H can.

cindyg

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm going to chime in here, just because I am in the same position as OP, I want to get a few goats for milk, have settled on ND, but now have to source them. So happy for this info. So many folks happy to help, it's wonderful.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
A couple of does is what Id thought of getting. Nothing crazy (yet ;) ) Ive read about folks alternating breeding times/due dates between does to always stay in milk. Is this a successful strategy thats realistic with a small herd or a couple of does?

We already agreed to deal with the headaches of paying and dealing with a stud fee. Bucks are something we have no interest in. Stallions give enough headaches, we don't need a buck on top of that.
I had someone buy 2 Nigerians from me and plan to stagger their breeding so they have milk all year around. I think probably 3 does would fit the bill nicely. That way if something happens and one of them slows down sooner than you expected or something you have that 3rd one to fall back on. Since Nigerians are year round breeders, as long as you have a buck you can breed to, it shouldn't be a problem.

I have to say, I love my boys. They do smell but they all just want attention and are not aggressive.

Jared77

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thats good to know about adding a 3rd so I'm always in milk. That will please the wife and daughter meaning we might keep a doe back from one of our breedings once we get this little venture off the ground.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
The lovely thing about having goats AND horses...you can offer the hay to the picky goats first, then feed the leavings to the horses, who are not so fussy that they won't eat a spear of hay that has touched the ground. When I had my horse with the goats, there was virtually NO wasted hay. Now that the horse is no longer with us, I have mountains of hay to compost. Frustrating.

(Your comment about your friend's Jersey made me almost :hit .....I am now an avid cheesemaker and would give up a lot to have the land for a nice little Jersey, producing gallons a day for every cheese in my 200 Cheesemaking Recipes book!)

Whine over. You will adore your goats.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
Gotcha. Thanks and good to know. Do they have to be ADGA or AGS in order to be shown in 4H?
This depends on the county. Most do require registration for does. Wethers often only need identification (ie tattoo). My lil country county just offered NDs to be in the dairy section, and right now my recorded grade NMGA goats are fine altho I bet down the road they'll ramp it up to does requiring formal registration.

Jared77

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Helm, thats good to know. Ill be sure to find out the local rules before I look at any herds.

And Freemotion....its a mixed blessing. They love the milk (its REALLY good) but I know I'd struggle to use that much milk too. I brought up the cheese, and other dairy products that could be made, and they still said it comes down to storage.