*graphic picture warning*

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor girl. You are doing everything you can for her, I do admire that! :hugs:hugs :hugs :hugs

If you are worried about the pics, you could put them in a spoiler/

(put pic here)

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Poor girl. You are doing everything you can for her, I do admire that! :hugs:hugs :hugs :hugs

If you are worried about the pics, you could put them in a spoiler/

(put pic here)
I think the warning should be enough. I find it gross but its not as bad as others i've seen.
Melanie just got me thinking that I really should put a graphic warning up there just to safe then have someone wander onto the post thinking, "Oh they need help ok." and then find some pictures they really didn't want to see.
So, at least this way they can be prepared :)
And thank you. I'm just grateful that my husband was willing to pay the bills. He doesn't admit it, but he loves the goats, and has a very soft spot for Annabel.

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_4194.JPG
IMG_4192.JPG

So...Here she is a few days later.
Nothing but clear stuff is coming out now which according to the vet is good.
Its almost completely scabbed over from the front and then has a bit more to go from the back. The nipple re-appeared also. We think it was swelling that hid it from us.
Though now the dang thing is shaped like an L and every time I milk it I end up squirted in the face...Hubby thinks its hilarious...Guess who's not laughing anymore since I put him on milking duty? *insert evil laugh*
The only positive that is coming from this is Anne is SOOO much friendlier. I get groomed every-time I go out there and she talks to us when ever she sees us.

Attachments

• IMG_4193.JPG
    IMG_4193.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 196

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So...Now its starting to shrivel, which is a good thing! Its not getting infected, or disgusting. Though since she keeps biting at the area the vet pulled some of the pain meds so she could feel it a bit more and stop playing with it.
I'm just waiting for it to fall off...
IMG_4208.JPG
IMG_4209.JPG

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even tho its nasty (getting squirted in the face :sick) its good to laugh in times like this, its a good way of releasing the stress... Even tho its so nasty, I couldn't help to laugh! :lol::lol: :sick

Her udder looks awful :hitGlad she is getting sweeter with y'all :hugs

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Even tho its nasty (getting squirted in the face :sick) its good to laugh in times like this, its a good way of releasing the stress... Even tho its so nasty, I couldn't help to laugh! :lol::lol: :sick

Her udder looks awful :hitGlad she is getting sweeter with y'all :hugs
Oh trust me everyone was laughing. Except me. Its got this smell, like a mix of rotting cheese and a dog with diarrhea...Now imagine that stuck in your hair.:sick
I now reserve my giggles for him every time he milks her, and for when I hear the subtle sounds of cursing which means he got himself in the face. :p

I am really hoping that her udder with just shrivel up and turn black then fall off rather then get weak and slough off. Ugh, I really hope for the other.

MDres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think it is days away from sloughing off. See that light gray line between the healthy pink and the dead black? Her body is doing a great job of healing and separating the dead flesh. It's for sure gonna look nasty again for a while, but it should fill in and heal.

I had a Hereford heifer get chronic mastitis back in 2005. She stayed at the vet for several weeks on several different occasions. In the end, the vet ended up injecting her entire udder, 1/4 at a time, with FORMALDEHYDE to slough the whole thing off. She was a pet, so we were willing to shell out the cash to get her taken care of. The clinic loved having the opportunity to do the procedure, because most times a poor-uddered or udder-less cow is just sent to slaughter vs. being treated to this extent.

We never did find out what caused the mastitis in the first place. She had never been bred, or even exposed to a bull. Snake bite and spider bite were ruled out, the only other thing the vet could think of was puncture wound from one of the many hedge apple (bodarc, bodoc, what-have-you) trees on our property.

Latest posts