*graphic picture warning*

hilarie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Necrosis....never pretty :thbut it beats the pants off of acute infection, and I'm guessing it bothers her a whole lot less than it bothers you now. And I'm with you; I don't think I could milk that, or use what came out of it. I'm also with those nominating you for sainthood for taking such good care of this girl.

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, its kinda been the same honestly.
It looks no better or worse, although the oozing appears to have mellowed out quite a bit and the smell is not as bad. I think the infection is pretty much done and now she is just healing. The udder is...retreating a bit? I think thats a good thing, but this scab is just refusing to come off. I think its going to do what I had hoped it would do and just shrink up into the body like a pair of testicles and then fall off when the body is done with it.
*fingers crossed*

IMG_4268.JPG
IMG_4270.JPG
IMG_4271.JPG

She didnt want to pull her face out of the feeder to say hi, so a side head shot it is!

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Opps! Apparently I forgot to post some in between pictures. Yeah their has been quite a change, the white stuff has separated from the udder quite a bit and the scab is now just squished and hanging onto the tissue.
We clean it out every day to prevent maggots and flies.
Here are the pictures I forgot to post.
IMG_4258.JPG

IMG_4259.JPG

MDres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If she manages to pull it off before it is ready, you might want to have your vet show you how to wrap her udder in a "sling" for support AND to keep the mammary tissue moist/clean.

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If she manages to pull it off before it is ready, you might want to have your vet show you how to wrap her udder in a "sling" for support AND to keep the mammary tissue moist/clean.
That is a very good idea, i'll give him a call and see if he'll come out again as a favor. Thanks!

Last edited:

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was going to ask you how you keep the fly's off, now I know.

Are you still able to "milk" her?
Nope, it has stopped producing fluid, the only udder that is producing milk is the one beside it and everything coming from that we have just been tossing in the garden or feeding to the chickens.
The flies have been a huge worry of mine. They love her udder, and its all I can do to keep them out of it. We even resorted to a chemical spray to kill fly's that bite her.
So far so good :)

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So...Ready for your boobs to start hurting?
IMG_4287.JPG
IMG_4288.JPG

So...yeah. Im not sure what exactly is going on now except that her udder is separating from the healthy tissue.
My vet keeps saying to just keep packing the edges with the antibiotic and to leave it alone. Nature will take its course i guess.
Its oozing a tiny bit from the left hand side and has obviously dropped tremendously from the healthy tissue.
I asked about bandaging and they said to leave it be. *shrug*
Now every time I go outside to take care of her I cringe...
Its been rough, and she keeps reaching back to chew on it so im just doing what I can now.
If anyone has ever dealt with anything like this please add your input and let me know if this is normal.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I agree that is looking pretty knarly.
She is a tough goat. It looks like her opposite teat is going to be just fine.

Latest posts