Grass Fed Breds

RIRss

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am looking into breds that are able to be self-sufficent and can live on grass and some hay. I would like to know what breds should I be looking into and what they require. I in Fl and willing to travel to pick some calfs up..

Any info will help first time with Grass Feds.

Thanks,
RIRss

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert on cows, but I believe any breed can survive on grass/hay fed diets. Your meat breeds might require a little graining right before slaughter and I'm pretty sure it's to loosen up or get a little fat under the skin to make it easier during the process - we have herferds and rarely give them grain. We prefer grass/hay fed beef but also aren't overly "organic" if that's a term to use.

Are you looking for a milking cow or beef cow?

RIRss

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Im looking for a beef cow. I just want breed that puts on the weight and will be easy to feed. Any breeds that you know that are good for this will help.......

Any info will help.....

Thanks,
RIRss

Royd Wood

Reaction score
RIRss - if its beef your after then check out the Galloway section on my website and you can see my cows which are strictly grass fed also see http://www.galloway.ca/ - theres a link to the US galloways on there too.
They dont mind the heat as well as the cold providing there is some shade for them, no horns to worry about and easy to work with.

RIRss

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ive looked around for the Galloways but I can never find anyone in Fl that has any. Thanks for the info Royd Wood loved the website. Looks like you have happy animals and a beatiful farm.

Are there any other breeds that do good on grass and hay..

Thanks,
RIRss

dmiravalle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Belties rule the field for grass fed. They are the sweetest tempered animals!!! They are excellent foragers as well. Ours eat the black berries, poisen oak, brush, etc....