Grasses for feed?

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I want to plant a tall, preferably ornamental, grass for feed. I want to take up some lawn space and grow something tall to screen views of the yard from neighbors.

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
While your ornamental grasses are a big no no for the buns, you could plant them for decoration then line with Sunflowers of various sizes and shapes. I plan a lot of sunflowers for the seeds around here ...also curly parsley. Makes a great border and the colors are awsome.

a7736100

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have running bamboo which the rabbits eat. You got to keep the bamboo in check or you'll end up with a grove.

ChickenPotPie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Though it does not get all that tall, my rabbits LOVE the oat grass that spontaneously grows were the left over oats fell when we move their beloved oat hay around. We pick it where it grew here and there for a yummy green treat for the rabbits but you may want to designate a larger growing area for it.

nicktide

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
while not a grass, check out sunchoke. it is a perenial sunflower with an edible root. The root is similar to a potato but higher in protein. The stalks grow 10ft and make a high protein hay.

rabbitgeek

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I agree, the rabbits love that oat grass!

Don't forget to use rabbit manure to fertilize the grass patch.

Have a good day!

Latest posts