Had to euthanize a kid last night. :(

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Jeez, I just got to see this, and I'm awful, awful sorry, CM....It's terrible.

I know because we basically had the EXACT SAME SITUATION w/ the latest fawn this weekend. He shattered his leg in the same spot trying to jump over this stump, landed funny or hit the stump or something. It wasn't a clean break, and he scraped his other leg up good going over it.

(It's rough-hewn from breakage when the tree fell over years ago, it's never been an issue before b/c it's too tall for the goats to bother jumping on / over it.)

And yes, it was 'just' a fawn that was destined to be roadkill or dinner for someone, but after months of rehab work and effort...and a small bit of affection that comes w/ dealing w/ any critter long-term...it hurt.

My dh had tears in his eyes when he shot him...and has told me "No more fawn rehab."

The mighty hunter, he ain't....

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's weird...I've been elbow deep in the blood of small ruminants before, because I hunt. Though I don't raise the deer I hunt, I'm still always kinda bummed out when I stand over one I've just killed..

I don't necessarily try to steel myself against that, though.. I actually try to let it flow through me, and actually feel it, because I don't want to become immune to that feeling.

I guess, to me, that feeling is a big part of being human, and not just another predator. It's a part of my humanity that I don't want to lose -- even though it's hurtful sometimes.

If that makes me a weenie, that's fine.. Not that anyone's saying it does, of course, but...well, we all know how people are, and what's expected of "farmers." Seems we're kinda expected to have hearts of stone when it comes to doing stuff like this, else we're not "real farmers" or whatever.

I hate to disappoint those folks, but....I just don't accept that. I'll never be convinced that there aren't a goodly portion of old timey hard-nosed farmers who leave the salebarns with light trailers and heavy hearts, considering all the work they put into their livestock.. And it ain't as if we're making millions of dollars at this...you either do it because, deep down, you love it, or you don't do it at all..

I'll even go so far as to say that if ever shooting a kid goat in the back of the head is something I can do casually, I'll sell out.

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a very similar opinion to yours CM.

I have hunted and fished since I was 10. In my family I am the one that gets to "deal with things". It's a job I inherited from my dad as I can disconnect enough to complete the act but still be compassionate about it.

I NEVER want to not feel it.

I know that some of my goats will end up in the freezer, they can't all be pets. As much as it will kill me to do it, I will be the one to put down my buck this year and he will probably end up in the freezer as well.

It's a hard transition to jump from "rescue" to "butcher". They are VERY different mindsets and it is not an easy leap in my experience.

I have buried animals that I probably could have eaten but at that time it was not possible to butcher them.

I am so sorry for your experience. You have my absolute sympathy.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would think you a weenie if you didtnt hurt!! "Real Farmers" care about their animals...remember we dont make the big bucks...we do it becuase WE LOVE IT..and love them..and I think it makes us better people cuz we can truly relate to and understand Life and Death and respect other creatures on this earth for who and what they are......Ive known many of old time farmers..with a tear in there eyes from time to time...Were realist, but we feel!! And thats what makes us better for it! When farmers stop caring about their animals...look what happens...Factory Farming etc....Keep Caring!

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss, you did the right thing by him.

Whilst it's hard to do such a thing, the right things never come easy, they alway have a cost, the pain and the grief, but that's what makes us human. If we don't feel that pain, what have we become.

When I lost my buck some weeks ago, I did not have the option to bury him, because of the level of the water table here. I had to cremate him and with 3 large dogs here, having to keep going out and refueling the fire and making sure every bit got burned, which took a whole 24 hours. So I know it's not easy.

You have both my respect and my sympathy. :hugs

Hykue

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I cried for you, and for the kid, and for his mama. I hope I have a long time before I need to do this. I had to do a chicken yesterday, and that was quite hard enough. Mammals are so much harder. It sounds like it was a pretty clear-cut situation, though, which makes it just the tiniest bit easier, knowing you're doing the right thing. And I wish I could own a pistol, because it would work so much better for this situation. I can completely understand that you buried him, and it certainly is a bit of an emotional release. I would have tried to convince myself to butcher, but I'm not sure I would have succeeded - I've yet to meet a young goat kid.

That suddenness sure does make it hard. It might help a little bit to think of what the goats would prefer - a safe, "padded room" type of existence, or a fun, slightly risky existence. For that one goat, the unsafe world worked out very badly, but your goats as a whole sure would prefer the occasional catastrophe to being locked in a padded barn.

I hope it is many years before you (or any of us) need to do that again!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just a couple of pictures of the little guy.. Only two we'd taken, I think..

745_jb2.jpg

745_jb.jpg

He was pretty bucky, compared to some of the other bucklings we had this year.. Good shoulders on him, and a 'blocky' head, for lack of a better word.. He just looked male, I guess is what I'm getting at.. I think he was only about 10-days old in these pics..

Really sorry, little guy. :(

(BTW...That's his sister standing behind him in the first pic.. She's really adorable, and is becoming very, very sweet. :) )

jessica5254

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am truly sorry for your loss, but did you have to add that graphic picture of how you put him down. just for the record he should have been euthanized not shot. That is my own personal opinion. Just because you had a freak accident doesnt mean you shouldnt have goats. If you keep animals no matter what type, death is part of raising and caring for them. I am sure we have all had experiences whether it be with goats, dogs, etc. but that has not stopped me from having then and letting them be a joy. I am truly sorry like I said, but that was toooo much information for me to handle.