Hair Sheep Color Genetics

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Finnie I think you are on right track if pheomalanin and phaeomelanic mean same thing. I'm not great with color matching and gradation.

Lundie article " The white/tan Allele – AWt. The most dominant allele at the locus. In the Icelandic sheep it can produce a completely tan (phaeomelanic) covering, but in most breeds this is changed to a white animal by the modifying action of genes at other loci – the spotted gene at the Spotting locus is one known to have a modifying effect. "

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am hurt and BORED! So figured I would play with this some more.
Snip.jpgMocha w babies.jpg
Snip was black and tan pattern with spotting, not sure of '+s or ss. Mocha is tan pattern less. Star was all black with a single spot on head. Oreo is almost duplicate of Snip's pattern. Here is the estimated color loci of the 4 sheep in question. With an all tan sheep there is nothing to tell you last loci, extension.

sheep loci.PNG
Punnet square with 1st option for Mocha
punnet1.PNGThis doesn't work because you can't get Star's color extension loci
Option 2 punnet square
punnet2.PNGCloser but we still don't get Star. Snip must have a D to get the double recessive DD that makes totally black sheep except for white spots.

Final Answer!
final.PNG

The REWARD? .... I successfully distracted myself for an hour?

Last edited:

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmm, Oreo could be ss in the Spotting loci but I can't prove that out anytime soon. I can't wait to see what colors and patterns I get crossing Mr Snickers. ANYTHING can be hiding under the white agouti loci!
1696865223349.png
If Oreo has a brown baby that means her and Snickers must both be Bb.
If Mocha has a solid brown or black baby that means Snickers is +D.
If any babies have spots, then Snickers must have +s or ss hiding in spotting loci.
and....
and......

Skiesblue

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like this thread, just started reading it again. My genetics education was Mendelian theory. And I opened up a rabbithole of Mandela effect. I clearly remember being taught Mendel’s inheritance theories, wrinkly green peas, smooth yellow peas. Family trees of peas all with unfathomable (to me) off spring results that left me puzzled and a little hungry. But Mendel was discredited in the 1930s. Why was I getting taught his stuff in the ‘70’s? I mean the rural Midwest did lag a bit but ouch. I applaud the efforts to plumb the hair sheep genetics but for me the Forrest Gump theory is my explanation :lol: in my own flock.