Hello from north Texas!

Kida

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm Stephanie, married to Lee, mom to a two year old girl and twin 10 month old boys and a 10 month old Alaskan malamute who is fed on a prey model diet.

So I'm eagerly anticipating my first chicken flock the first week of April, but more improtantly here is I just got the go ahead from the hubs to have a pair of female nigerian dwarf goats! I've been not so subtlely hinting since we got married (and lived in military housing) that as soon as he got out of the corps I wanted a little homestead. It started with meat rabbits (which that little flock is going to be expanding soon as well) next was our gardens, square foot gardening and lots of fruit trees lining our front yard, and then he ordered me a flock of egg layers for my birthday and now GOATS hehe. I won't get to actually *have* the goats until 2014 because I need lots of planning time, but I'm so happy!

I have a 6'x6' bed each for growing the chickens' and rabbits' special food (they all roam an acre and get the regular garden scraps and lawn clippings etc), but I don't think a plot that small would be enough to keep the goats happy so I'm currently trying to figure out what to do for them because I really don't like 'formulated' feeds.

The plan for their housing is an 8'x8' pen with what is essentially a big wooden dog house with the front taken off for their house and to let them roam the big yard (excluding the gardens) with all of the other creatures for several hours each day.
An old friend of ours has volunteered her male's services for breeding in exchange for tasty baked goods randomly throughout the year ^_^

If anyone has any tips or sees a problem with my (very loose) plan, please chime in! Thanks everybody!

Kida

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks everybody! I'm more of a lurker than a commentor so ya'll probably won't see me post much, but rest assured I'm reading the heck out of the goat and rabbit boards :pop

bigmike

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to BYH..lot of good folks and good advice on here.....What part of north Texas are you from.....I am located close to the Wichita Falls area in a super small town with my family and some goats and chickens...