Hello from North Texas!

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm somewhat new to farming and have found these forums invaluable! I have a few friends and neighbors who are long-time farmers, and the advice I've seen on BYH reminds me of talking to them. I decided it was time to officially sign up. Here at Honey Dreame farms, we have 8 goats, one LGD, 24 chickens and 7 guinea fowl. Everyday is an adventure, and even when things are rough, my animals do something every day that makes me smile or laugh out loud. :D

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Howdy - you're not too far away (at least not by Texas standards). We're in Rhome. Sounds like you have quite a fun group of critters.

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
HoneyDreameMomma said:
Howdy - you're not too far away (at least not by Texas standards). We're in Rhome. Sounds like you have quite a fun group of critters.
Oh yes lovely bunch. What kind of goats and chickies do you have?

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have a 'ornamental' barnyard mix flock with a Speckled Sussex roo with five hens: Gold-Laced Wyandotte, Silver Laced Wyandotte, New Hampshire Red, Red Sexlink and Black Orpington. We were trying out a variety of breeds to see what we liked best - probably going to stick with the Speckled Sussex and Black Orpington breeds in the future. Then, our young flock is all Marans - 19 of them (black, blue and splash). We have one pearl guinea, one purple, and 5 chocolate - we weren't particular on colors for those, just wanted the excellent grasshopper control they provide. :)

Our goats are Nigerian Dwarfs. We love how playful they are. What are your goats like?

Hi to Four Winds Ranch as well. Never been to Alberta, but always wanted to. What's the weather up there like right now? We're just headed into a triple digit hot spell - it's the only time of year I laugh at myself for choosing to live in Texas; most of the time, I love it.

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Love love love speckled sussex. I had a flock of them awhile back from ideal. I still have an eight year old pet hen who still lays.

My goats are pretty playful too.

I have two nigerian/nubians does, which they are my favorites. I'll be sitting, under my tree, in my chair, drinking coffee/wine/etc and ploop I have a 70+# lap goat while the other is licking my arms. Then I have a 88% boer 22% nubian doe that is so quiet and sweet, she will just stand there asking for her horn bases to be scratched. Overall they all play together nicely. Bouncing on the fallen tree and wire spools, etc. Very cute.

The weather has been pretty wacky this year. At least we have gotten some rain this year though. Our water table is still way down from the drought years.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another howdy from North Central Texas, Erath County. Welcome, sit for a spell and we'll fetch ya some ice tea.