Help me pick the perfect hutch to build

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
For chickens they need wire otherwise a predator can be under the edge and inside the pen in just a few moments. Same with the bunnies all though the greater issue is that rabbits are powerful diggers.

Ninny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oakroot said:
For chickens they need wire otherwise a predator can be under the edge and inside the pen in just a few moments. Same with the bunnies all though the greater issue is that rabbits are powerful diggers.
Are you talking about just having wire laying on the ground out a couple of inches from the edge?

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ninny said:
Oakroot said:
Are you talking about just having wire laying on the ground out a couple of inches from the edge?
No, I think the wire needs to cover the entire bottom of the tractor. Helps protect them (both rabbits & chickens).

Ninny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
brentr said:
Ninny said:
Oakroot said:
No, I think the wire needs to cover the entire bottom of the tractor. Helps protect them (both rabbits & chickens).
Oh doesn't that defeat the purpose of letting them outside? I would like them to be able to eat the grass.

sonnythebunny

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
the grass would grow thought the wire,if the holes are not to small,
we have clover and that grows thought chicken wire.....
one idea that I had (and want to do) is make a run with a bottom (not a top) and then put in a chunk of sod on top of the wire then nail/staple on a roof,
hope that helps

( edited to say: you need to staple/nail the wire on the bottom)

Rabbit-boy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have the first hutch and it works awesome inside:cool: