Help!

jross8897

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Was't even sure my doe was preggers until she started producing milk. Today she passed the "plug" from what i've gathered here. I've got her in a pen away from the dogs and anything elese (She is the only goat I have). She hates being in the pen. How long after the "plug" will she go into labor? How long should she stay in the pen after the baby is born? Any other advice for someone like me that is new to goats and this whole kidding ordeal? I'm a little anxiouse and nervouse!:barnie

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Where are you (how cold is it there at night now) and where does she usually live when not in the pen, with what animals?

She should go soon! Or she is lying, goats like to torture us, you know. :p

jross8897

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm in South Carolina and the Goat is a yard goat that is bonded to our springer spaniel :hugs .... It's a long story... She's calming down in the pen now i think...

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
She will likely unbond to that spaniel the second her baby has arrived, so be careful. A goat can do a lot of damage to a dog...and a dog can do a lot of damage to a baby kid.

Meanwhile, between trips to the barn to peak in on her, you can do some reading on kidding and such on www.fiascofarm.com. Lots of nice, user-friendly articles!

jross8897

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks soooo much!! You think that the dog wont also bond with the kid? I was hopein' it would be one big happy family! i know that the dog would go after baby, but I know I could train him to the newborn just as i did to the doe to begin with... do you think she would allow it?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I would give her a good 24 hours to bond w/ the kid before you let the dog around. Stranger things have happened than for a doe to bond w/ some other animal and ignore the kid....a just kidded doe can be a strange acting creature.

It could be a week or two before she kids...or a day or two...after the plug.

mistee

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
i have had does lose plug and go in 24 hours and other a month later,,lol.. You will just have the fun of checking and checking and checking on her,,lol......

I wouldnt stress to much about keeping her penned away.. When she is ready to give birth she will take herself somewhere where she feels safe and away from everyone to have her baby.. She might even start butting the dog away when she gets closer..

jross8897

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Okay... I'm worried that the dog may go after the baby... He's pretty rough on things he's not familliar with. I guess his instincts get the best of him. In the past two days it seems like her utter has doubled in size. I wish so much that we would have known she was pregnant when we got her! It would make this guessing game much easier.:barnie Yesterday we let her out most of the day and kept a close eye on her. I think I'll just keep her in the pen when no one is home and at night. At least until I see some other signs. Does that seem fair?

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What was "the plug" that you saw? Was it an amber goo or was it white discharge? Do you have a picture of her udder? Is she gazing out into nothing from time to time or stretching out a lot?

I think your idea of letting her be out while you are around to watch her closely, then keep her penned up while no one is available to watch is a good idea. That way she can't kid out in the yard and leave the baby susceptable to anything out there.

Good luck!

jross8897

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
2527_100_0663.jpg

2527_100_0661.jpg

2527_100_0658.jpg

These are the best pictures I can get. Until 4 months ago she wouldn't let me touch her... she's still hard to handle. :he
What I saw as far as the "plug" goes was a white thick gross looking discharge.:ep Hours later there was a darker colored discharge on her, but now its clean... I must sound like an idiot... I have no idea what I'm doing... and I've been online for two days trying to igure out what to do!:barnie

Also... today she seems to be laying dow more than usual. I read that closer to the time they will lay down then get back up because there uncomfortable. She doesn't seem to care much about being out of the pen today... could this mean soon or ?????? :hu