Hi from the North

Briard'nSheep

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thought I'd introduce myself since we just got our first 5 sheep today and there will be questions!

We are located in the northern half of Alberta, Canada where temperatures will drop to -30C in the winter. Hence our choice for a hardy sheep breed: Kathadin. We had 3 ewes, plus a mom with her lamb delivered this morning. The lamb is a Kathadin x Dorper. They all still have their thick winter hair, since we have only been snow free for 2 weeks now.

We got the sheep to be our lawn mowers/shrub eaters and once everyone gets acclimated my 4 1/2 year old Briard may get to do some herding again. Briards are not LGD nor do they work like a border collie. The Briard's original work was Boundary Work.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I LOVE BRIARDS.... almost replaced my old GSD with a briard.... had one 25 years ago. In the end... another GSD!

Where are all the good briard breeders? Found some nice dog in Canada but all the ones here are soooo small.

Welcome to BYH~

Briard'nSheep

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome!

"Southern by Choice": there are few Briard breeders I'd choose in the US. Canada has only a few active breeders. Briard girls are smaller then the boys, mom's girl is ~60lbs and my big boy is just over 80lbs, 26 3/4 inches tall at the shoulder and very lean. Not sure yet how to attach pictures of him to the forum. We've had Briards for 12 years now and have never regretted our choice ;)
Europe has gorgeous Briards, my next one might just be an import if my favourite breeder won't have a litter when we are ready for another Briard.
any questions, I am more then happy to help :D

SleepyOwl

Just born
Reaction score
Hi! I am from Minnesota, and it gets that cold here also. I think about moving south sometimes, but family is here... ;)

Good luck with your sheep!