High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can sure tell ya...they're really good....fried or boiled it is very comparable to a chicken egg....tho the yolk is smoother and creamier....where they shine is in baked goods. Also, the duck egg is more alkaline based and the chicken is acid based. Many people allergic to chicken eggs can eat duck eggs without any problem.....:)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Rib eyes are my go to meat, but after that it's pork, pork and more pork! Then the occasional poultry... and fish last (I like saltwater pelagics and they are hard to come by here and when available are very expensive). Glad you had a good trip, glad you have moisture and eggs. Life is good! I wasn't "impressed" with duck eggs to eat fried... The yolk was a different consistency and the white was "tougher" than chicken egg. I'd eat them if I didn't have chicken eggs available. But they worked great in baking!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Pelagic fish are large, open salt water, long range fish like sword fish, tuna, bill fish, mahi mahi, etc. I was brought up fishing fresh water streams for trout, pickerel, pike, etc and they were too soft, too bony, and I just didn't care for them. Love to fish, but I like firm fish with no bones that cooks (grills) like a steak. :drool:drool

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
And we’re back! Sorry folks it’s been a crazy crazy month! Between shipping out all of my pigs and cleaning my barns and my wife’s health problems I haven’t had time to do anything! But now I’m getting new pigs in and my wife’s health is better (I won’t say great, this pregnancy is really hard on her) I have a moment to get some things done. I finally started on my corrals, I’ll be finishing the horses part first before I get to sheep. I changed my layout entirely from what I initially planned but it should work a lot better. We had a near miss with the ducks last week, one got out (son didn’t close the gate up) and got attacked by something (we’re guessing my neighbors corgi) and had a gnarly hole where her neck meets her wing. But that’s healing up nicely and she showed no real problems beyond a gaping hole and some ruffled feathers. I’ve got one ewe at my friends house now, he sent the ram to freezer camp after he started to get aggressive and I really don’t blame him, he saved me buying a pita. So we’re trucking along and I’m still here, and hopefully it all gets better from here