High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
In 2017 my wife decided she wanted cats again, and a friend had two cats about a year old, able to escape dogs and half wild. Tux and Oreo cake into our lives, and tux was my kind of cat. He moused, ate lizards and small snakes, the occasional road killed rabbit, and wanted nothing to do with us. Perfect cat. Then a big orange cat turned up one day, who moused and beat up the other two but was tame as all get out, he would follow me around to do chores like a dog. We called him O’malley and he lasted a few months until he decided to be like a dog and jump on my friends flatbed truck and hitch a ride to his ranch. I still see him time to time as I’m loading bales out of the stack. All was well until my wife brought home a little calico kitten from the same friend we got the other kittens from. “She’s so cute, I have to have her and her name is Winnie”. She didn’t understand all Calicos are female and tux and Oreo are unfixed males. A week later Winnie’s sister shows up at my place, with the promise she would get them spayed. Nope, Tillie the sister gets pregnant and has four kittens. I could only get rid of one, and Kya and Bella got another so we’re at 6. My wife’s never been very good at math, so my plan has been to quit feeding the dang things and they’ll go somewhere else. Nope. But I don’t have a mouse, lizard, or snake problem. We get grasshoppers bad in the summer, and they ate those too. Don’t get cats folks, they never stop at one

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I laughed and couldn’t tell him that those were stripper names but I digress.
Conjures up a memory going from Chicago to Albany on Amtrak a few years ago. Same conductor as on the way out and we'd chatted with him a fair bit. Fun guy.

Middle of the night some people got on and he loudly proclaimed he was turning on the air because it suddenly smelled like a French whorehouse. When he came by I asked how he knew what a French whorehouse smelled like.

"well, you see .... never mind." :lol:

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
In general, this is immediate family. (All of our friends are much more accepting!)

They don’t like dogs in general- specifically in the house. They complain about the hair getting on them and any that they can find on the floor. (I had a German Shepherd Mix before Halo.) I don’t keep an immaculate house but it is tidy.

Yup makes it the hardest to "talk" to them about the issue.
My step daughter brings her dog over every time she comes. We are ok with that because we love dogs. But every time her dog is at my house, she would snap/nip at my dog. When we had June, her dog nip at June a couple of times. Her dog nipped at our little pup the other day when they came over for Thanksgiving. It really bother us but we couldn't really say anything about it.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Conjures up a memory going from Chicago to Albany on Amtrak a few years ago. Same conductor as on the way out and we'd chatted with him a fair bit. Fun guy.

Middle of the night some people got on and he loudly proclaimed he was turning on the air because it suddenly smelled like a French whorehouse. When he came by I asked how he knew what a French whorehouse smelled like.

"well, you see .... never mind." :lol:
:lol::lol:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Her dog nipped at our little pup the other day when they came over for Thanksgiving. It really bother us but we couldn't really say anything about it.

Really? I would say something! Then one would be crated or removed from the house. My dog, my house, my rules. Sorry....no one stays & does that.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Really? I would say something! Then one would be crated or removed from the house. My dog, my house, my rules. Sorry....no one stays & does that.
She did "lecture" her dog and gave the dog a stern talk...the thing is she doesn't come over to visit often (even tho she lives 20 mins away) so DH didn't want to "risk" saying something then she'll get pi$$ed and don't visit anymore.