High Desert Cowboy- How far is it up north?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule ...you nailed that one ! ....I have pepole who won't come into the house because they are afraid of a 85 lb dog, i have family that do not understand why i would rather stay home and be with our animals or working around home ...than smoking cigaretts and getting drunk with them... when they say " why do you spend so much money on your animals....my reply is, i spend less on my animals per month than you do on tobacco and alcohol, my animals are not going to be the cause of my death...i can't kill anyone while driving with a goat like you can with a buzz on.... and if i needed to, i could sell my animals and get most of my investment back...now you try selling one of your lungs ! ....yes mam. .you are way too nice to take crap from your GUESTS , listen to BAY....:clap

Last edited:

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
My favorite saying is, "You got a set, use them!" My house is maintained for the comfort and well-being of my animals. You dont like it, here's the door. At one time, I had three dogs, and five cats in my house, as well as finches, parakeets, and two cockatiels.
I got rid of the birds because of the constant feather dander and also got divorced at some point, so money to properly care for them was an issue. The dogs and cats passed away over the years, so now Im down to one cat and one dog inside.
I keep my house clean. No one, even my Mom, says my house smells or looks dirty. And my Mom would tell me if it did. So, if someone has an issue with your pets, "oh so sorry you cant come! have a great holiday!"

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm only chiming in on this one because I just went through the past weekend/holiday with my daughter, son in law, three kids and their three dogs descending upon us for the holiday. They were invited and we were thrilled to have them. They were only able to come if they could bring their dogs. Their usual dog sitters were gone for the holiday. One of their dogs is old, feeble and needs daily meds so it was bring him or not come to the family gathering.

The three kids know my house rules because they stay with me a couple times a year. When they got here we had a talk about house rules for the dogs. My house - my rules. Only the old sick dog is allowed to stay inside. (This rule would have been adjusted if the weather had been bad - but it wasn't) His rules were that he was not allowed in the kitchen or on the living room rug. (Same rule applies to my own dog when she is inside) This dog listens and does what he is told. The other two - ARGH! But they stayed outside during the day and were crated in the breezeway at night. The old dog was allowed to sleep in the same room as daughter and son in law. Dog was instructed to sleep on a towel and he did. The only mishap was when the youngest granddaughter let the old dog in after a potty break without wiping his feet. No big deal - a quick Swiffer-ing and it was a moot point.

When they first arrived the other two dogs thought it was ok to push past the kids and race into the house. One little lesson by me at the back door stopped the rushing in. I stood at the door - I owned the door and they dared NOT try to rush past me, lol. Lesson learned and the rest of the visit was great.

When I go to their house they have all three dogs in the house. I love dogs - but I love well-behaved, respectful dogs. At their house I will correct the dog if it is obnoxious and pushy with me. But, I don't abuse, threaten, kick at or scream at their dog in their house. And by the same token - I will not allow MY dogs to annoy a guest any more than I would let one of my children annoy an adult that came to visit in my home.

In MY house children and dogs will be taught manners... just my 2cents.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I go to their house they have all three dogs in the house. I love dogs - but I love well-behaved, respectful dogs. At their house I will correct the dog if it is obnoxious and pushy with me. But, I don't abuse, threaten, kick at or scream at their dog in their house. And by the same token - I will not allow MY dogs to annoy a guest any more than I would let one of my children annoy an adult that came to visit in my home.

In MY house children and dogs will be taught manners... just my 2cents.
:)
Dominion......

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
They mind.
My friend's dogs minded him too. Problem was, he didn't give them many commands or discipline them very often at all, but from his point of view, 'they minded '.

Not rhetorical: "Is killing every cat it can get to something you really WANT your dog to do?"
Doesn't matter how much the dog may enjoy it...how much do you like him doing it?

The issue being discussed of course is not a dog problem. It's a people social problem.
At base level, what is being queried = "Is it worth it to lose invited guests and family in order to continue status quo regarding how I raise and train my pets?"
choices..

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
She 'just does' because there's not now and perhaps has never been, anything/anyone to prevent her from doing it.
May (or may not) be in-correctable at this stage of her life, tho the adult female I acquired a little over a year ago hated cats when she first came here. I scolded her enough about it that she gets along with them just fine now...squirrels are a different story. I don't care about them and she can kill as many as she can climb up and get.