Holland lop thread

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't personally have any Hollands, but I was talking to someone at a show who breeds & shows holland lops and mini satins. I can't for the life of me remember the fellow's name, but he was very successful with both breeds. Something he mentioned was that Holland lops are a more difficult breed to raise due to higher incidents of poor mothering coupled with small litter sizes. Just something to think about when getting rabbits to breed & raise as more than just pets. Make sure to check the bloodlines and maternal history with any rabbits :)

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
DKRabbitry,

Thanks for the tip about looking into the "maternal" history of any breed of rabbit. Which brings up a question. When looking at unproven does, would their temperament be a clue to what type of mother they will turn out to be? I'm finding out from reading this forum from experienced breeders (of any breed) that it's kind of tough to really know if a unproven doe will have the motherly instinct. That's why it's advised for newbies to try to look for proven. But if there isn't any does that are proven out there, or your choices are limited because of maybe the area you are at or the type of breed you want to breed, would looking at the history of temperament give you an inkling of a good motherly doe?

K

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
For breeding/show stock, when just starting out, I would recommend getting from a breeder. They should have some sort of idea how that damline is, or even at least how the rabbits mother was. That is really the *best* indication on whether or not the rabbit will be a good mother. Of course it is always a toss up. Temperament wise, I have seen basket case rabbits be good mothers, or be so stressy they kill all the kits. I have also seen laid back, sweet rabbits be good mothers, and I have seen them just completely ignore their babies. So I don't think temperament is a very good indication. From my experience, best you can do if you don't know her maternal bloodline is get her, breed her and see how it works out. Mostly it is just IF you have the option to find out maternal history, do so, and pick the rabbit with the best mother.

In terms of the holland lops, home-sweet-home made it sound like there was 8 in the litter (is this correct? 3 died, and 5 living?) From what I understand, that is a huge litter for a Holland Lop. That breeder I was talking to said litter sizes was usually 2-4, and then not all are show quality. What we were talking about was the differences between raising/showing the mini-satins and the hollands, so his point was that with the small litter sizes, it takes more to get your champion animals and replacement stock because you have less to choose from. He had been showing hollands for many years and was just getting into the mini-satins. So, if I were to start breeding holland lops for pets, I would just look for rabbits that have good sized litters and are good mothers. If looking for top-of-the-line show animals, obviously you have to take the best you can afford to start with and learn what the standard is and what to look for. If there are small litter sizes there, maybe get one that isn't so typey but comes from a big litter, cross her in, and select offspring for that trait and being true to type. What fun is breeding if we haven't set up goals? :D

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
DKRabbitry said:
For breeding/show stock, when just starting out, I would recommend getting from a breeder. They should have some sort of idea how that damline is, or even at least how the rabbits mother was. That is really the *best* indication on whether or not the rabbit will be a good mother. Of course it is always a toss up. Temperament wise, I have seen basket case rabbits be good mothers, or be so stressy they kill all the kits. I have also seen laid back, sweet rabbits be good mothers, and I have seen them just completely ignore their babies. So I don't think temperament is a very good indication. From my experience, best you can do if you don't know her maternal bloodline is get her, breed her and see how it works out. Mostly it is just IF you have the option to find out maternal history, do so, and pick the rabbit with the best mother.

In terms of the holland lops, home-sweet-home made it sound like there was 8 in the litter (is this correct? 3 died, and 5 living?) From what I understand, that is a huge litter for a Holland Lop. That breeder I was talking to said litter sizes was usually 2-4, and then not all are show quality. What we were talking about was the differences between raising/showing the mini-satins and the hollands, so his point was that with the small litter sizes, it takes more to get your champion animals and replacement stock because you have less to choose from. He had been showing hollands for many years and was just getting into the mini-satins. So, if I were to start breeding holland lops for pets, I would just look for rabbits that have good sized litters and are good mothers. If looking for top-of-the-line show animals, obviously you have to take the best you can afford to start with and learn what the standard is and what to look for. If there are small litter sizes there, maybe get one that isn't so typey but comes from a big litter, cross her in, and select offspring for that trait and being true to type. What fun is breeding if we haven't set up goals? :D
Truly, thanks for the input regarding temperament. Also, I never considered going anywhere else but a breeder for starting my breeding stock. It worked out well with our pets. We got really lucky when we rescued Willard, not knowing his background. He's a charm to have around.

100% agreement, need to set up goals for breeding (whether show/pet or meat). That's why I just didn't rush in to get a doe and buck and start breeding. As much as I want to start, I want to make sure I have all my "ducks in a row".

K

2seth2

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
alot depends on what you are breeding for

Petit Jean Bunnies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I raise Hollands {you can see my bunnies at www.petitjeanbunnies.com }, they are the cutest breed ever! I don't know what I would do with out mine!
Such sweet personalities and such loving little faces, not to mention the cute little floppy ears! If any of you have questions or are needing help with your Hollands just shoot me an email at jessica@petitjeanbunnies.com I am more than happy to help! I'm all for the enhancement of the Holland Lop breed!

Thanks

JessiKa Peterson - {Petit Jean Bunnies}
www.petitjeanbunnies.com

2seth2

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
you should enter the 2 online rabbits shows undy BYH online herd show. It many not be as acurate a a normal show but it is free and fun

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Hollands look like the next breed we will be getting. DH wants a Holland Lop. I want a Lionhead but again lots of grooming so my argument is not as solid as DH's argument on Hollands. So we will be out searching for our next bun. Hopefully this one will be a doe and we will start. I think Hollands will be perfect for what we need for breeding. Especially around here. Not much meat rabbits but lots of pets and show.

K

bunnylovincowgirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
Hollands look like the next breed we will be getting. DH wants a Holland Lop. I want a Lionhead but again lots of grooming so my argument is not as solid as DH's argument on Hollands. So we will be out searching for our next bun. Hopefully this one will be a doe and we will start. I think Hollands will be perfect for what we need for breeding. Especially around here. Not much meat rabbits but lots of pets and show.

K
That's exciting! There are some really top notch Hollands on the east coast, particularly in PA and VA, down through the Carolinas. Some of the best in the nation.

By the way -- your new member title is funny. :D

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
bunnylovincowgirl said:
Ms. Research said:

K
That's exciting! There are some really top notch Hollands on the east coast, particularly in PA and VA, down through the Carolinas. Some of the best in the nation.

By the way -- your new member title is funny. :D
I've been doing some research and have seen lots of really successful breeders in PA. Living in New Jersey, it's a bit closer for us to drive.

Regarding the title, it just appeared one day. I guess it fits.

K

Latest posts