Holland lop thread

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
2seth2 said:
Ms. Research said:
home-sweet-home said:
Ok, cool, I know what to put on the pedigree.

But they have never been outside, so I do not know how they would get sun bleached. They just really started leaving the nest box that is in a 4ft x 4ft fully inclosed remade coop. They have not left the coop to go outside yet (I think it has been too cold) We have a colony.

So the lighter ones can still be sold as show quality (if they are) even with the lighter color?
Congratulations on your First Kits. They are absolutely beautiful.

I think they could be considered show quality. I think what 2seth2 is stating is it's a solid color, whether it's lighter. Solids are judged. Just like Brokens (patterns) are judged.

K
Ms. Reasearch even if a animal is soild it has to be recognised variety to be show. If she had a rabbit that was not a recognised color she could not sell it as show quality.
Thanks for the clarification.

K

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Citylife said:
Today I purchased a very nice chinchilla holland lop doe and her 2 mo. old litter of three. I also, purchased a nice buck who of course has been named Buck. ;)
He is kind of a cutie pie.
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/1521_buck12_8_11.jpg
Is he not a good lookin boy?

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/1521_sofie12_8_11.jpg
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/1521_sofietop.jpg

The last two pics are the 2 mo. old broken chinchilla. she is just too sweat.
Congratulations on the new buns.

K

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
Citylife said:
Today I purchased a very nice chinchilla holland lop doe and her 2 mo. old litter of three. I also, purchased a nice buck who of course has been named Buck. ;)
He is kind of a cutie pie.
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/1521_buck12_8_11.jpg
Is he not a good lookin boy?

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/1521_sofie12_8_11.jpg
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/1521_sofietop.jpg

The last two pics are the 2 mo. old broken chinchilla. she is just too sweat.
Congratulations on the new buns.

K
oK, I had to change the chestnut bucks name to Bud and not buck. To wierd.... I decided. Bud is a better name. Any way, here he is close up coming to say hi and he is ready for his hay.
1521_bud12_9.jpg

Here is Sofie the broken chinchilla 2 mo. old jr. doe.

1521_sofieface.jpg

they are to darn cute and very sweet........ way different then meat rabbits. and I guess that is a good thing.
Or at least that is what I tell myself and no one else needs to rain on my little parade. :lol: :lol: :lol:

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Two questions I'd like some advice on: First, what is the life expectancy of a Lop? I just adopted a lop rabbit as a favor; don't know breed specifics but he sure looks to be about the same size as the bunnies in pics on this thread. He is 7 yrs old, been a house rabbit all that time. Very friendly, docile buck. Has not been neutered. Actually sired a litter about 6 months ago.

Upon a more thorough examination, he has some lumps under his skin on his underbelly, and one on his shoulderblade. His coat is thinning, and his toenails were a mess (I fixed that).

He does not seem to be in any discomfort. I am just wondering how long he might stick around. Seven years old seems old for a rabbit.

Second question: any suggested schedules for acclimating to outside? I live in northern VA. Temps right now are 50s during day; low 30s overnight. I have no ambition for a long-term house rabbit, and would like to acclimate him if OK so he can be around other rabbits.

2seth2

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
if he is well taken care of and has no health issues 10+ years you can put him out for a few hours a day then let stay out all day for awhile then in evening the he is good to go he is old and probly wont acclumat well with the rabbits unless they are his age or smaller than him and a buck + buck with does around is a big no

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here is a sweet 10 wk. old chinchilla doe. She is a sweetheart.
1521_doe1.jpg

She is for sale in KC

home-sweet-home

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
the babies have grown so much. They will be 6 weeks old the day after Christmas. We are letting 3 go before Christmas to experience owners. We are trading one of our black ones for a REW.

They are so cute and seem to have mommas build and daddy's cute flat face. We have several interested in the last little girl so I am sure she will be gone soon after the others.

I have a question though. We have a colony with three does and 1 buck. So far this is the first litter we have had. BUT we are pretty sure the other two does are pg, they have milk. BUt it has been 2 weeks since we noticed they have milk and they have not pulled fur. All of the does love on the babies (since they started coming out of the nest), they clean them and cuddle with them (daddy too), they very loved little bunnies. So I am wondering could the other girls have just started getting milk because of these babies and if not, when should I expect them to kindle after having milk. They eat fine (actually we are going through tons of food and hay and snacks), they act fine.

That is the only draw back to the colony that I have seen so far, is we never know when they will have kits. And we have to leave the nests in there and so we have to clean them often. Sigh.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Glad to hear that your kits are doing well and ready to go to their new homes.

I have no clue about your colony of does. Or raising rabbits in a colony. Sorry, wish I had some kind of answer. But if your two does that you think might be pregnant, take care of the other doe's kits, they could be producing milk for them and not be pregnant. It seems like all the does are taking care of this one litter.

It looks like a "wait and see". Hoping both are pg and you have more kits. Please keep us posted.

K