Holland lop thread

home-sweet-home

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
Glad to hear that your kits are doing well and ready to go to their new homes.

I have no clue about your colony of does. Or raising rabbits in a colony. Sorry, wish I had some kind of answer. But if your two does that you think might be pregnant, take care of the other doe's kits, they could be producing milk for them and not be pregnant. It seems like all the does are taking care of this one litter.

It looks like a "wait and see". Hoping both are pg and you have more kits. Please keep us posted.

K
One has kits for sure. I was holding her and felt a bump the size of a kits head and it moved!

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
home-sweet-home said:
Ms. Research said:
Glad to hear that your kits are doing well and ready to go to their new homes.

I have no clue about your colony of does. Or raising rabbits in a colony. Sorry, wish I had some kind of answer. But if your two does that you think might be pregnant, take care of the other doe's kits, they could be producing milk for them and not be pregnant. It seems like all the does are taking care of this one litter.

It looks like a "wait and see". Hoping both are pg and you have more kits. Please keep us posted.

K
One has kits for sure. I was holding her and felt a bump the size of a kits head and it moved!
Congratulations! Can't wait to hear good news. Must have been a neat experience feeling the babies move.

K

home-sweet-home

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I felt the other does kits today. Yikes, the wait is killing me. I may have to move the buck from the colony, I am not sure how much waiting I can take lol.

I had an experienced breeder over today (to pick up a kit) and she thinks they are pg too

On another cool note. I spoke with the breeder of one of my does and she would love to buy her back, or some how line breed her. I could get pick of the litter. Or trade for another doe.

I dont think I can, cause I really like this girl (not just her amazing looks and pedigree, but as a pet, she is a snuggler!) I wonder if it would be rude to ask her if she would want to stud her buck out to her and then she get pick of the litter? I would have to put the doe in another cage after her kits are born and let her recoop and then take her out there. I just dont know that I can let her go.

She did offer to look at my buck. I was worrying that I might be taking these great does and putting them with an inferior male. (She judges shows), the other option is to buy a great buck from her and let lopsy come inside as a pet.

PinkFox

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
in colony situations its not unsual for the "sisterhood" to all produce and take care of eachothers kits...
the not knowing is why id never house a buck in a colony setting (girls only) i want to be able to control who is breeding and when, not to meniton letting the does rest
, but milk comming in early is quite common in colony settings
make sure to feed them up WELL though, since they started producing milk so considerably early beofre their litters its extra strain on thier bodies. id be suplimenting with a little calf manna just to mae sure there getting enough of everything they need :)

id love hollands one day...there sooo cute.
and english...i have a soft spot for the lops!

home-sweet-home

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Milk mystery solved!

Today we found a cute little broken black tort kit hopping around the colony! She appears to be 3 weeks old! We found 3 holes, two deep ones that we dug up and found the end and no kits. The other seemed shallow. SO we begin wiring the bottom of the colony so this could not happen again and after it is almost completely wired. I see a cute little tort looking out from the once thought shallow hole from under the wire!!! So I go outside the fence and go back further and found the three remaining kits. So 4 total! Looks like a black tort, a broken tort, a sable point (or broken sable point) and maybe a blue tort or really light tort. I did not want to handle them too much because they were pretty freaked out. So I put them in the hutch in a nest and tomorrow I will get them out and take pictures and humanize them a tad lol.

So our buck got moved to a condo next to the colony. I cant take this not knowing when kits are coming stress. He will get visits, but on my timing! I will miss him cuddling with the babies. He was so good with them!

home-sweet-home

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Pictures! Little sneaks!

The tort doe
tortdoe-1.jpg

tortdoe-3.jpg

The Sable point? maybe broken? doe
sabledoe-4.jpg

sabledoe-3.jpg

sabledoe-2.jpg

sabledoe-1.jpg

The broken tort doe (can you tell if this is possibly a broken chocolate tort. The color seems off for a black tort, but I am new to this)
brokendoe-3.jpg

brokendoe-2.jpg

brokendoe-1.jpg

The only buck, tort
buck-3.jpg

buck-2.jpg

buck-1.jpg

home-sweet-home

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Whats crazy to me is that they are so clean. They were in a dirt hole. How are they so perfectly clean.

Also makes me not so nervous about breeding. We checked the last litter from our doe every day and stressed without fat tummies. Jaylene proved I can relax a bit. But I am happy that after 30 days I know I will not have to wonder when the kits will come!

I was just telling mom I wanted something to show in march. well here they are! If they get big enough before then'

2seth2

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
sooooooo cute and it looks lik a sold sable piont