Horrible situation *worse update

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I know some of you saw my post about our doe who is still at the breeder's place but had twin bucklings on the 26th. Well I went out there early this afternoon to see the new babies. I could tell when I saw her that she wasn't feeling well. She has always been pretty fiesty before and not as social as the other goats. In fact, she had only let me touch her twice before today. When I got there, she stood and let me pet her, let my boys pet her, just seemed a little depressed. The breeder said she had had a rough kidding as one of her boys was pretty big.

I was watching her and saw that she appeared to be contracting and pushing. I mentioned it to the breeder but she said she wasn't concerned, that sometimes they continue to have contractions for a couple days. Well that agrees with my own experiences with giving birth so I felt ok about it. One of her other does kidded with twins while I was there and I helped dry off the babies and all that. Very cool!

As I was about to leave (I was planning to come get the doe and kids when they were about a week old), I just wanted to check in on my doe one last time as I thought I had seen something the last time she had looked like she pushed. Sure enough, I sat there for a minute and watched her. She was definitely pushing and I definitely saw something. I called the breeder over and she checked her. Sure enough, she had another kid in there!

We have now been trying to get that kid out for hours and it just isn't budging. We have only managed to get some of the front legs out. She just isn't dialated anymore and the water came away long ago. The kid is, of course, dead and bloated so it just won't move. We are waiting now to hear if the vet can help.

Anyone had something like this happen before? If we get the kid out and the doe makes it, can I expect her to be able to be bred again? This is just rotten and I don't know what to do.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I would be waiting for the vet personally, but if you are thinking of "going in" and trying to retrieve the kid, make sure you sterilize your hands and arms to prevent giving her an infection. Do you have a kid puller? I am so sorry and hope things turn out well--let us know.:hugs

jmsim93

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear this! I hope that a vet gets back with you soon! Praying for a good outcome for your doe... :hugs

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
You definitely need that vet out there quickly. I wish you and your doe the best :hugs

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i think that even if you can get the kid turned (i'm guessing it's head is turned back over the shoulder) and get it pulled, if it's been three days(?) I wonder if it's started to decay already.

I'd say she def needs vet attention to get her cleaned out.

keep us updated.

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Believe me, we have tried every which way we can imagine to try and pull that kid out. It has definitely started to decay at least a little as the hair just sloughs off the legs. She did finally manage to get to talk to the vet and he will be headed out there pretty soon. He said that he expects to be able to get the kid out by cutting it into pieces and that as long as there is no damage to her, she should recover just fine. I certainly hope so as she is a lovely doe!

ETA: I had to come home as I had my kids with me and simply couldn't wait there with them any longer. We live about 45 mins from the breeder so I won't be going back out there tonight. I will instead be at home praying the vet manages to get the kid out and that she recovers. I really like this doe and will be really upset if she doesn't make it. :(

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Bad news :barnie. The vet got the kid out and apparently it was huge. The really bad news is that the kid's head was through a hole in her uterus. She will be euthanized. The exact news I didn't want to hear.

EggsForIHOP

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh my goodness...I feel so sorry for you right now. My prayers and thoughts are with you and the goat and her babies. I've been up piddlin' 'round the house and I keep coming back and looking and waiting and watching for something good. I really am sorry to hear this. It's just a shame all around nothing could be done, I saw the pics and she did look very nice. :hugs

gingit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So sorry. How are your kids taking it?