How do you milk around a nursing kid?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
Does anyone who milks and dam raises have any issue with the doe letting down? I'm curious how you'd prevent the kids from getting an enormous meal after being separated overnight because the dam didn't milk out completely.
I find that "bumping" the udder in much the same way that a kid does is effective. Watching the kids nurse, I have also learned that the bumping needs to be firmer as the lactation progresses (in pygmies anyway).

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
elevan said:
n.smithurmond said:
Does anyone who milks and dam raises have any issue with the doe letting down? I'm curious how you'd prevent the kids from getting an enormous meal after being separated overnight because the dam didn't milk out completely.
I find that "bumping" the udder in much the same way that a kid does is effective. Watching the kids nurse, I have also learned that the bumping needs to be firmer as the lactation progresses (in pygmies anyway).
& Nigerians!

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had a doe earlier this year who took a week to start letting down completely each milking after I'd already pulled the kids, even with vigorous bumping. I had to be careful not to let her hear the kids before milking or forget it. Even then she was darn good about withholding. I suspect that if I hadn't pulled the kids she would have continued to do so.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I tried sharing once with my top producing Nubian doe, before we were committed to bottle raising our kids.

I don't recommend it.

The kids didn't thrive like they should have. They had slower growth and gain rates than future kids of hers that we bottle raised...

Latest posts