how do you pick a vet

miron28

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i am looking for a new vet the vet i am using is a good vet but doesn't know to much about goats. how do you choose a vet and were do you find one at?

HeatherM

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Let me know when you find one! In our area there aren't really any good goat vets, but luckily there are a lot of very knowledgeable people to help us out and our goats haven't had anything happen yet that has called for a vet.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
miron28 said:
i am looking for a new vet the vet i am using is a good vet but doesn't know to much about goats. how do you choose a vet and were do you find one at?
Best thing I can think of is to ask other goat people in your area who they use and how well they like them.

If there are no other goat people in your area...or if the other goat people in your area don't often use vets, preferring the "total goat replacement" option for anything a round of PenG won't cure...there probably aren't any better goat vets either.

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You mean you have more than one to choose from??? :plbb

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have 3 vets...1 for my dogs...1 for my horses....and 1 for my goats...I don't bother asking any of them about any other animal other than their specialized area...But that is just me and I have loads of vets in the area to chose from...

Henrietta23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am getting my goats from my vet. But he is a small animal vet and doesn't treat any livestock other than his own. I will use the vet he uses for anything serious for his goats. Your vet may have a colleague who he or she can recommend.

miron28

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
chandasue said:
You mean you have more than one to choose from??? :plbb
this is the problem :barnie :he i don't have any to choose from cause i can't find any. this vet lives about 1 hr from me. i just tought there was ad and or something that people chose from :caf

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I wish there was sort of a master list online of all the vets by state that treat goats. There's one about 30 minutes from me that claimed to treat goats however when I brought my nigerian in for disbudding she didn't seem to have a clue, nor did she really answer any of my half-dozen or so questions. So I'm still looking and stretching out further and further...

miron28

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
chandasue said:
I wish there was sort of a master list online of all the vets by state that treat goats. There's one about 30 minutes from me that claimed to treat goats however when I brought my nigerian in for disbudding she didn't seem to have a clue, nor did she really answer any of my half-dozen or so questions. So I'm still looking and stretching out further and further...
let me know if you happen to find one :thumbsup

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have 2 vets.. well sort of... I pretty much walked into the first large animal vet I saw and signed us up LOL which probably wasn't the best idea but the vets at this particular clinic turned out to be the best I've dealt with in a long time. If I had gone by recommendations I'd have ended up with the rudest, meanest, frenchest Belgian vet around that has absolutely no "bedside" manner.

My current vet (for the horses) will do goats, he has a special interest in large ruminents (ie. cows) but will work with goats and is happy to do so, I just kind of waited and hung around and all of a sudden one day my clinic took on a new vet who had a special interest in small ruminents (ie. goats). You can't even imagine how thrilled I was :D I also take my cat to this vet.

Latest posts