How irresponsible can you be?!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
There are different categories of dogs for me.

The ones I don't know who they belong to and are just wandering I will attempt to catch and turn over to animal control...if they show aggression I just notify animal control, run them off and say if they come back they are dead.

The ones that come onto my property that I do know who they belong to I will notify the owner that I do not tolerate loose "neighbor" dogs on my property and that if they come again they will be dealt with. There is usually no further need to talk to neighbor about the dog or to deal with these ones.

Then there's Rufus...a neighbor's dog from across the road...he's a yellow lab and doesn't harm anyone he just wants to "visit". All I have to do is open the door and yell "Rufus, go home" and back he goes.

You can usually tell what kind of dog / threat you are dealing with within a minute.

goatsintheopen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
carolinagirl said:
20kidsonhill said:
In virginia you can't shoot dogs. So if you do, you better follow the three s's.
Actually...yes you can. Here's Virginia's law. It's pretty typical of the livestock protection laws in most states.
http://library.municode.com/HTML/14737/level4/CD_ORD_CH5AN_ARTIIDOCA_DIV1GE.html
We live in VA and the Officer I talked with said we could shoot the dogs since they were on our property illegally. also like I said there is a Leash law. After EVERYTHING that's transpired if the owners valued the dog, they would keep it up.

If I could catch it, I would and just call Animal control to come get it. but the dog runs off, I've tried before.

There is soo much to this mess! And after the Shooting of their next door neighbors dog, you would THINK they would take action and do something to contain their animal. :rolleyes: They KNOW the dogs going to be shot. They KNOW it!! :barnie

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
goatsintheopen said:
carolinagirl said:
20kidsonhill said:
In virginia you can't shoot dogs. So if you do, you better follow the three s's.
Actually...yes you can. Here's Virginia's law. It's pretty typical of the livestock protection laws in most states.
http://library.municode.com/HTML/14737/level4/CD_ORD_CH5AN_ARTIIDOCA_DIV1GE.html
We live in VA and the Officer I talked with said we could shoot the dogs since they were on our property illegally. also like I said there is a Leash law. After EVERYTHING that's transpired if the owners valued the dog, they would keep it up.

If I could catch it, I would and just call Animal control to come get it. but the dog runs off, I've tried before.

There is soo much to this mess! And after the Shooting of their next door neighbors dog, you would THINK they would take action and do something to contain their animal. :rolleyes: They KNOW the dogs going to be shot. They KNOW it!! :barnie
Like I said some people just don't care...nothing you can do to make them care.

I've been lucky enough that after I give the threat and have AC back me up with one of their own (and stating my rights to the owners) then pens / kennels have been built for said dogs.

goatsintheopen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
elevan said:

I've been lucky enough that after I give the threat and have AC back me up with one of their own (and stating my rights to the owners) then pens / kennels have been built for said dogs.
That's why we haven't pressed charges against them.. it's just not going to do any good.

We did have a problem with 3 dogs, the third owner, after the shooting, took her dog to a no kill shelter.. that was the dog that finally attacked our roosters. And we'd been telling Her for MONTHS about her dog coming onto our property before it got our guys. I was SO UPSET! To me, It's not a matter If the dog will attack, it's a matter of.. they will eventually. So now, there is No tolerance, to avoid the inevitable.

You are SO fortunate to have delt with people who genuinely care. Can we make a swap? :p LOL!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
goatsintheopen said:
elevan said:

That's why we haven't pressed charges against them.. it's just not going to do any good.

We did have a problem with 3 dogs, the third owner, after the shooting, took her dog to a no kill shelter.. that was the dog that finally attacked our roosters. And we'd been telling Her for MONTHS about her dog coming onto our property before it got our guys. I was SO UPSET! To me, It's not a matter If the dog will attack, it's a matter of.. they will eventually. So now, there is No tolerance, to avoid the inevitable.

You are SO fortunate to have delt with people who genuinely care. Can we make a swap? :p LOL!
It's more like they have kids who care about the dogs and they care about the kids

I'll keep my crappy neighbors because as I learn so often from reading on here some have crappier neighbors.

I do wish you luck in your battle.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would have to disagree with country dogs getting to live like country dogs. That only flies if you know your neighbors well, your dogs are livestock safe, don't bust open their trash on trash day, don't poop in their yard and don't dig holes in their gardens.

Those kind of dogs are a rarity and even then, those dogs running free also make good road pizza. If they are big dogs they can do a lot of damage to a car.

That being said, anyone's dogs or livestock can get out on any given day by accident and this should be forgiven. Over and over? This is a neglected and uncared for pet and why not remove it from it's misery? They obviously won't miss it and there are too many dogs and cats in the world today, the population needs serious thinning.

I wouldn't have told them, though....they obviously don't care, don't have the mental capacity to process clear consequences or don't know you well enough to determine if you are a person of your word. Just the type to try and hurt you for disposing of their unwanted dogs.

Shhhhhhhhh Shhhhhhhhhhhh Shhhhhhhhhh :D

his1911

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a firm policy that IF MY DOG runs my cows around , it gets shot! I have just as much sympathy for the neighbors dog's. I'll give a first warning if I can determine the owner of a collared dog. That's only for stock harassment, if it's actual harm to the stock it's an instant death sentence so long as I can safely take the shot!

larryj57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here is what got me to where I am on the dog on my property deal, 30 pure breed dominque chickes 5 months old, 45 pearl gray guineas 4 months old, all raised from chicks. one afternoon 1 neighbor dog 75 dead birds. all the poultry was contained in what Iconsider a pretty nice coop, I though predator proof, the dog tore thru 4 different walls of wire to simply kill everything, no eating just killing. whenI found the dogI saw leaving the coop at a neighbors houseI stopped and ask the guy if his dog had been loose, he said I don't have a dog, I told him well the one that killed all my birds looks just like the one tied up to your front step there, what a jerk and a coward, not to accept responsibility. Now I have a no dogs allowed rule not one warning no notice just one well placed shot. now i have goats so the rule is strictly enforced

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This is why I just have a chihuahua. :p

But really I don't think any dog I own should be an outside dog. So whether it's a chihuahua or great Dane, I bought it/took it in and it'll live inside--away from roads and guns and livestock. That's the real reason I only have a chihuahua!

CYG

MonsterMalak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I truely understand the frustration and fear of peoples dogs on your property. I have lost countless fowl and goats to such.

But with raising Livestock Guardian Dogs, have a fear that some neighbor will shoot them if on their property. My dogs have a LOW PREY DRIVE, so are livestock safe. But the inate fear of some would cause them to shoot a dog on site. As this has happened to several over the years. My solution was to communicate with the neighbors, inform them of the breed, and show them the benefits. Several of my neighbors welcome my dogs, as they keep the coyotes off of their property also. Most of my dogs are fenced, but I keep several outside the fenced area to protect the house, fowl, kids and to seperate squabbles.

I find that the LGDs will keep all the neighbors dogs off of my property. So that may be one option that I have not heard. A dog that will not harm your animals, and will protect your farm from others dogs.
And with a BOZ, few dogs would dare to venture on your property. The saying in Turkey is that "Only GOD can help the dog that comes up and refuses to Lay down and PEE"
Minik_kus.jpg
c920e5bd.jpg

I like to maintain a friendship with my neighbors, and although it is not always easy, it is worth the effort.