How irresponsible can you be?!

NYRIR

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is a good thread to read...I recently got 2 goats and have a neighbor who has a couple of huskies that frequently escape his pen and fences. I keep telling him I am not comfortable with them around my birds. (I have roughly 150). The last time his female came down and charged at the fence at my Toulouse goose....she usually will hiss at my dogs but this one she ran from....he thought it was comical and that she was trying to "play". I keep telling my kids if they see her or the HUGE male, to try and contain them. They are not bad around humans but they try not to get caught.

Guess I will be buying some electric fencing to go around the new goat paddock.....

What's annoying is...I keep my dogs on my property.I have a dog area fenced in that they never get out of...and when i take them out of that area,it's when i am out with them.I'm the only one on my road with livestock...and the most conscientious about keeping them in.Go figure.

Rvrfshr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Your neighbor sounds like a goon.

You may want to let him know the cost of replacing your birds/livestock and how costly vet bills can be. A registerer letter might let him know that you are not amused.

In my neighborhood a stray dog is fair game for anyone whose property they trespass on.

Predatory animals are not a joke when your livestock are torn up, maimed or killed.

Many people do not understand the hours or work that go into raising livestock, feeding them and caring for them.

Some people should be licensed to own animals.

Rvrfshr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Kotori said:
It makes me sad to read about dogs being shot, but if they are killing your source of income....

I don't live in the country, but I have one big Schnoodle that got out once....was missing for all of an hour before he came back. He went to the front door and rang the doorbell. that was the only time he got out. (he was chased back by a stray cat lol)

I think when I move to the country I'm going to get an Anatolian shepherd or two with one of those invisible electric fences and let them protect the place.

I think you gave them plently of warning and a fair offer. the death of their dog is on their shoulders. How they treat their dog says alot about a person.
Warnings are unnecessary. Common sense is obligatory where livestock are concerned. Many folks think that when they "get out in the country" their pets can roam free. This should not be a an assumption, it lacks that common sense factor.

wirefence

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Not all the people like to keep the pets in.Do you have hot wire on your fence?

Rvrfshr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
wirefence said:
It's probably more important for a pet owner to have a hot wire on their fence and to maintain control/responsibility for their animal's behavior. Just common sense.

Most shepherds & goatherds do not let their animals stray off their property.

I keep a rifle handy instead of relying on a hotwire that may or may not deter an agressive animal owned by an irresponsible person with tunnel vision or no vision at all.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
wirefence said:
Doesnt matter. Its not your responsibility to keep them off your land. The owners, if they care about their pet will keep them on their land.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Didn't read the whole thread but is it possible for you to just grab it and take it to the nearest animal shelter as a stray? At least the animal might have the chance of getting a better home...?

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would not just grab a pair of pitbulls and take the chance of being hurt myself in trying to take them to a shelter. We own sheep and poultry and also two pet dogs...none of them are on anyone else's property and I expect the same from neighbours. Yes, we use hotwire for night time safety and lights, but during the day it is not practical.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
wirefence said:
Seriously? What a novel idea...not all people like to keep their pets in. :/

I'd say that NO ONE likes to restrain their pets and in a perfect world we could all do that and it would be nothing but rainbows and puppy dog tails~ and not bloody and ravaged livestock.

Whether they want to keep their pets in or not, the fact remains that they have a responsibility to do so. It's not everyone else's responsibility to control their animals for them.

I keep my dog fully contained but even I have a dog tag on his collar that states, "Hi, I'm Jake! Don't Shoot! Please call _________", just in case he does get off my property. If they do shoot him when he is off my property, I certainly won't be upset at the person who does the shooting. Out here in the country things get a bit more serious when dogs roam than in the suburbs...more livestock, more potential for loss.

Rvrfshr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
wirefence said:
Seriously? What a novel idea...not all people like to keep their pets in. :/

I'd say that NO ONE likes to restrain their pets and in a perfect world we could all do that and it would be nothing but rainbows and puppy dog tails~ and not bloody and ravaged livestock.

Whether they want to keep their pets in or not, the fact remains that they have a responsibility to do so. It's not everyone else's responsibility to control their animals for them.

I keep my dog fully contained but even I have a dog tag on his collar that states, "Hi, I'm Jake! Don't Shoot! Please call _________", just in case he does get off my property. If they do shoot him when he is off my property, I certainly won't be upset at the person who does the shooting. Out here in the country things get a bit more serious when dogs roam than in the suburbs...more livestock, more potential for loss.
It seems that there is a disconnect with rural living and urban values and lifestyles. Could this be a factor in the per capita crime rates of rural areas vs. urban populations?

I've learned much from other posters on this site and see it as an opportunity to learn what I do not know about and for others to do the same.

Respect is the keyword to understanding how to live in harmony with others. Respect and responsibility go hand in hand.

Many thanks to those whose wisdom and common sense enlighten us all.