How many Trail Ride?

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have thought about driving. And I know you can get into real bad situations in those too. But, I talked it over with my neurosurgeon (her daughter rides!) and I think I can do it. I would get a small pony (welsh are my fave) and an easy entry cart. I would need to wear a helmet, and bail at the first sign of trouble but I could potentially do it. Something to think about, thats for sure! :)

2468herdsrgr8

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Was the bee's nest in the ground or hanging from a tree?What did the horse do ?...Did it get stung to? ...What would you put on a bee sting on a horse ?...same as a human ?....

Yes I have seen those cowboy hats in Magazines ...hopefully we will go to Congress this fall and pick two up...my hubbies a Harley guy ....stubborn ...I forget what states years back when we used to tour alot he would purposely make sure we go through a state with no helmet law so he could take his helmet off...not me ...:rolleyes:well maybe before we had kids ...after the kids were born different story...

Okay another Question to add to this post ...If thats okay ...:D
When you trail ride what do you bring ?

Chickerdoodle13

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Haha, my dad brings saddle bags filled with beer. He often forgets to pack my waters!

We don't bring much on the trail ride itself because we are usually close enough to the trailer to return inbetween rides.

Here are a few pictures I found on my facebook:

(Don't mind the saddles. We have since gotten new ones that aren't crappy!)

This is Stetson tied to the old parking lot we used to go to. Now that we have an awning on the new trailer, we park in the big field.
n713083084_401651_6586.jpg

We were getting a storm this day, but this is the entrance to one of the trails.
n713083084_401652_7044.jpg

This is another entrance ont he other side of the parking lot. We had some nasty clouds that day!
n713083084_401661_1244.jpg

This is a field that we ride along
n713083084_401670_4302.jpg

This is a picture from when we went to gettysburg. Its my dad's back riding Sonny
n713083084_401781_3884.jpg

The trail goes through the battlefields along some of the streets.
n713083084_401788_6321.jpg

n713083084_401797_9514.jpg

n713083084_401815_4906.jpg

n713083084_401832_547.jpg

Here's an older picture of me with my old mare in the foreground and Sonny to the left. I don't really look too much different!

n713083084_401830_9766.jpg

Here's a picture of Stetson when our truck broke down at the trail and we had to wait for AAA.
n713083084_501416_506.jpg

Chickerdoodle13

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks!

Stetson thinks he's the hottest stuff to walk the planet. Just don't tell him I think Sedona is prettier! LOL

Here's a picture of Sedona for comparison:

4398_77614383084_713083084_1839521_2388758_n.jpg

2468herdsrgr8

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sedona ? was that the horse that was won through a raffle ? ...Did I read that somewhere on here...maybe it was BYC ..Maybe I am confused ? I am sooo tired ......she is very beautiful....and most geldings think there hot stuff...mine certainly does ...ha ha ha !!!
580_tiny_and_his_girls_july_5_2009_042.jpg

Chickerdoodle13

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I actually remember the story you are thinking of, but no, it wasn't me (Although that would have been nice!) We actually got Sedona for free through a friend of a friend and I couldn't be happier with her.

Your boy is georgous too! He's nice and beefy unlike Stetson. Our two geldings are so difficult to keep weight on, especially during the winter. Sedona has lost a little weight since we brought her to our house so I think she needs either more feed or something extra. She's not skinny, but I like meaty horses! Sonny is just old and has always had difficulties with his weight. Stetson gets to a good weight in the summer and then has to be fed like a pig in the winter to keep a good weight. And all they do is eat hay all day long! Cheyenne (the two year old) was wormy when we brought her home and is finally at a nice weight. She is definitely a piggy when it comes to hay though!

2468herdsrgr8

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm sorry about that ..How old is she ?..She's a beautiful horse ....Love her colour ...
My fella ...Tiny.....I just bought him end of June and supposely he's an easykeeper ...only eats hay and pasture ....But on the other hand our Arab cross is not an easy keeper ..she's the Diva ..she really gets a good thick coat so we constantly have to feel her sides ...she's on Purinea's high fat low fibre also..

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Chickerdoodle, is that your barn in the background? The big beautiful stone barn?! Siggghhhh, we have a stone barn as well but someone parged it and it's slowly falling apart LOL and it's only 7ft tall in most places so no good for horses really.

Bronco Hollow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
laughllama... have you though about minis for driving?

Love the stone barn, had to wipe the slobber off my keyboard...

We don't ride as hard as we used to on pleasure rides, so we have laxed what we travel with. For a day ride my saddle bags holds carrots, trail bars/snacks/sandwich, ice, water and how many beer ride it is.

Removable insulated inserts for the saddle bags holds melting ice, doubles for water buckets for the horse when your desperate. Our horses know how to drink out of a water bottle, heck even a beer can on pleasure rides ;)

My horn bag contains paste bute, vicodin for me, camera, roll on fly repellent and/or deep woods off and sometimes a cashell riding mask for my horse and flagging tape.

Longer rides I'll add a cantel bag with first aid kits for rider and horse, duct tape, banamine and a multipurpose tool...
For SAR a different set of bags with a [at ready pack] very different pack as we have to be prepared to stay out.