How many Trail Ride?

2468herdsrgr8

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hey ! great information .....So I would like to get some saddle bags just for pleasure rides ...would you recommend the newer kind of saddle bags with insulation compared to the leather ?....
If you dont mind me asking whats Vicodin ? ...something for pain ? right?
A cashell riding mask? Like a fly mask?
Flagging tape ? orange tape ? for when you wander in circles ?
thanks so much ....whats that saying better to be safe than sorry ....
Hubby compares it to riding his Harley ?....You have to bring everything !!!

jettesunn05

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
j.jpg

Here is a photo(I did not take this photo, and not taking credit for it) from 05' ride in Waynesboro, Tenn. Buffalo Trail Ride. It was awesome. That is my old man Jette he is 19 now and looks about the same!

Bronco Hollow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Nice picture jettesunn... hope you have that one framed at home!

2468 I prefer the nylon bags over leather. You can buy insulator bags that go inside your standard size saddle bag... I'm not sure of we can do links here at BYH? [some forums do not allow links and I don't want to get into trouble lol] I can PM you the information on where to get them if you need it.

I don't like zippers or snaps on bags, just personal preference. Its too hard to fumble around trying to reach inside or close them. My everyday bags use Velcro to close but the saddlebags for SAR I purchased online - it has lots of pockets and doubles as a back pack... they zip. I joke that all our horses have an emergency stop.... Pulling Velcro ....our horses know when they hear the ripppp of Velcro... that can mean a carrot lol

The Cashell riding mask is like a fly mask, but much thinner. They have soft ears [or without] and you can buy them with a long nose to cover the nostrils. Some elevations are horrible with gnats, the riding mask keeps the horse quite from head tossing and their not snorting bugs. You can google them Cashell Quite Ride Masks - made for mules too!..... or you can do this:
2870839487_3ea48e446a_m.jpg

I always seem to have flagging tape - pink 2 stand is how I mark my trails.... but have used other colors also. Other people use different colors or combination of colors and strands.... kinda like tracking - I know how some folks mark their trails. I'll flag a new trail, or replace missing flags at important turns if they are missing.

If you don't already have one, think about a GPS. We used the Garmin wrist one, easier to hold the reins and work the GPS with the other hand. They are a lot of fun too... horseback geocaching

LOL my hubby is the same way... sometimes I wonder why we have to pack so much darn stuff for 'just in case'. lol Oh and its OK to ask, no offense... I take Vicodin for pain.

2468herdsrgr8

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
jettesunn05 said:
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww77/besancon87/j.jpg

Here is a photo(I did not take this photo, and not taking credit for it) from 05' ride in Waynesboro, Tenn. Buffalo Trail Ride. It was awesome. That is my old man Jette he is 19 now and looks about the same!
OMG!!!! That is one awesome photo !!!! What a beautiful horse !!! Thanks so much for sharing !!!!

2468herdsrgr8

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Bronco Hollow ....thanks so much for all the information ..and advice .....I am making my list .....I think next time when we just ride down the rode I'll bring a cedar branch ...Love that photo !!!ha ha ha !!!.....beats me having to bend over to swat flies off his ears ...even with bug spray !!
Thanks again

jettesunn05

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Bronco Hollow said:
Nice picture jettesunn... hope you have that one framed at home!

2468 I prefer the nylon bags over leather. You can buy insulator bags that go inside your standard size saddle bag... I'm not sure of we can do links here at BYH? [some forums do not allow links and I don't want to get into trouble lol] I can PM you the information on where to get them if you need it.

I don't like zippers or snaps on bags, just personal preference. Its too hard to fumble around trying to reach inside or close them. My everyday bags use Velcro to close but the saddlebags for SAR I purchased online - it has lots of pockets and doubles as a back pack... they zip. I joke that all our horses have an emergency stop.... Pulling Velcro ....our horses know when they hear the ripppp of Velcro... that can mean a carrot lol

The Cashell riding mask is like a fly mask, but much thinner. They have soft ears [or without] and you can buy them with a long nose to cover the nostrils. Some elevations are horrible with gnats, the riding mask keeps the horse quite from head tossing and their not snorting bugs. You can google them Cashell Quite Ride Masks - made for mules too!..... or you can do this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3164/2870839487_3ea48e446a_m.jpg

I always seem to have flagging tape - pink 2 stand is how I mark my trails.... but have used other colors also. Other people use different colors or combination of colors and strands.... kinda like tracking - I know how some folks mark their trails. I'll flag a new trail, or replace missing flags at important turns if they are missing.

If you don't already have one, think about a GPS. We used the Garmin wrist one, easier to hold the reins and work the GPS with the other hand. They are a lot of fun too... horseback geocaching

LOL my hubby is the same way... sometimes I wonder why we have to pack so much darn stuff for 'just in case'. lol Oh and its OK to ask, no offense... I take Vicodin for pain.
Love the picture! Do you know the name of the one you bought SAR(?)

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
2468, I believe Greenhawk sells the flymasks that attach to your bridle, the fit just on the part over the eyes and down the nose a bit. You can also purchase them from a tack shop out here called Bridle Path Tack. They are a lot thinner than regular fly masks but are great for trail riding.

290x1000_fitbox-equilibrium_net_relief.jpg

They sell ones similar to this at Bridle Path Tack, I'm sure Greenhawk or a smaller privately owned tack shop in your area would carry them. The ones I have seen actually attach to the bridle.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh also, the one I saw did not have the nose part on it, and I'm not sure I'd buy one with a nose simply because not all horses appreciate them. Instead you can wipe your horses nose with some absorbine fly spray wipes.