How much to pay?

Horsefly

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
How much would you be willing to pay/expected to pay for a first freshener unregistered Nubian giving 2-2 1/2 quarts a day with a kid at her side?
We are looking at a doe and I was wondering what she was really worth.

chicken fruit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Any goat in my area, that is in milk tends to go for around 100-200+ depending on registration. Even unregistered goats in milk will fetch 150 usually. If it were a male kid the price wouldnt change much- but a doe kid would probably nearly double the value.

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is the price for the doe and her kid?

I agree with chicken fruit. Here in the northeast I've seen unregistered doelings go for $150. Check out local farmer's websites to see what they charge for registered (or even unregistered if you can) for comparison.

If she were for sale around here, I would expect to pay $200 for her, even more if it was with her kid.

chicken fruit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Iam in the NE too, glen. There's one breeder of very fine registered 3rd generation miniature nubians in MA- have you seen them in wantaddigest and craigslist? They sell their does, in milk, for over 300 bucks. FOR ONE GOAT!

To me thats really too much. But if I were starting into something for real I'd pay it, I guess, to get good lines and registry.

I dont know where the OP is located, but either way I'd check with up and coming goat dairy's in the area. I've had really good luck buying goats for almost nothing from such situations. These three full blood alpines from good milking lines, all does, unregistered, I got for 12 chickens. lol.

Barter people!

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Unregistered probably between $300 and $400, Nubians seem to demand quite a bit more here, at least in my immediate area.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
An unregistered doe in milk w/ her kid by her side...$150-200, providing she's CAE / CL free.

Untested, or not raised 'CAE prevention'....$125-150...

If it's a doe kid, maybe a tad bit more than if it's a buckling.

mossyStone

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Here in my area, you can expect to pay $400 to $500 for a reg doe in milk, maybve a bit more if the baby is a doeling... Un reg 300 to 350.... Dry Nubians are $250 and up, It is really hard to find a good doe in Milk around here....

When i was frist looking to start in Nubains i had to settle for Doelings and raise them up...and those were any where from $150 to $200 a piece!

Mossy Stone Farm

Horsefly

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Is 2 1/2 quarts a resonable amount of milk fo a Nubian? Her kid is a half Nigerian dwarf doe.

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Horsefly said:
Is 2 1/2 quarts a resonable amount of milk fo a Nubian? Her kid is a half Nigerian dwarf doe.
That comes out to 5 lbs. Is that per milking (excellent) or a day (allright...depending on how long she has been fresh) Especially for a first freshener.

If You were to purchase her and bring her home....most likely she will drop off a bit in production. Usually, with good feed and consistant care... they will come back up.