How much to sell rabbit for?

AZ Rabbits

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
CCourson05 said:
AZ Heat said:
Genipher said:
I was planning on selling them as soon as they're weaned, which is normally around 6 weeks, right?

However, if I were to hand them over a week or so before they are weaned, would it mess up the doe's instincts, etc.?
I wean my Americans, NZ's and Californians at 5 weeks and there's never been a problem. I know people who wean theirs at 4 weeks without problems, but I personally like the results of 5 weeks.
I think taking the fattest one away in between weeks 4 and 5 helps the smaller ones catch up.
Yip. That's my belief as well. 4.5 weeks the fat ones are removed. Then a few days later others are removed. This not only helps the smaller ones get some last minute nutrition and fat, but also helps the doe's milk dry up and prevent any potential problems with her.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, we're anticipating a move and my plan was to just sell all the kits from this particular litter to "The Snake Guy". I figured it would be less stressful for me that way. So the weaning will be a pretty abrupt thing...

CCourson05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Genipher said:
Well, we're anticipating a move and my plan was to just sell all the kits from this particular litter to "The Snake Guy". I figured it would be less stressful for me that way. So the weaning will be a pretty abrupt thing...
Well when will you move... I'd try to take all but one away for a few days, so that she will have a small dry up time. If she doesn't get that, it should be alright.

Petit Jean Bunnies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Caprice_Acres said:
15.00 is way high for meat buns.

Most buyers get 1.20 or so per lb live weight. I'll be asking 1.50 per lb live weight.
I think that is true for commercial breeders/sellers/buyers, however I think $15.00 is a great price for a local breeder.

Petit Jean Bunnies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Rocky Knolls Rabbits said:
A locally owned grocery store near me carries frozen whole skinned rabbits and the last time I looked at the price it was close to $7 a pound!
Wow, thats insane! I wonder if it was organic.

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Petit Jean Bunnies said:
Rocky Knolls Rabbits said:
A locally owned grocery store near me carries frozen whole skinned rabbits and the last time I looked at the price it was close to $7 a pound!
Wow, thats insane! I wonder if it was organic.
That's how much it is here and there is nothing about organic on the package.