How much to sell rabbit for?

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I raise a meat breed, but so far sold them for too much to eat. I sold one for 25 and one for 30. Mine are Creme d' Argent.

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I raise Cali's for meat and sell them for $2/lb live weight, so around $10, here in SE Tx. Meat breeders go for $25-40 while the Show breeders can go for up to $100. This is for purebred Cali's.

Shannon
www.oneacefarmrabbits.com

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I paid $50 for a NZW breeding trio (two proven does, unproven buck). The does were pregnant at purchase. I got mine through Craigslist. I have a backyard meat operation. $50 was the best price around, even considering I had to drive a bit to get them.

Lots of people asking $30-40 for a single breeding doe, and lots of 6-8 week old weanlings being sold for $20-25 where I live in Virginia.

The best price in your area is whatever your local buyers are willing to pay! :)

hitnspit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here in VT I bought 3 New Zealand Whites breeders at $30 each. They will be ready to breed in about 3 weeks. Cant wait........jim

Thundrr-Chicken

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i just bought 2 american blue young does from a breeder... realizing they are #5 on the conservancy list... i paid $30 each.. and didnt flinch at that price... i didnt buy them to simply eat... even though they are considered a meat breed... maybe separate them in your mind that way and market them separately that way and price them accordingly ... around here people are selling any kind of mutt rabbit they make as "meat rabbits" .. IMO they are all just "junk" rabbits... not bred for meat.. certainly your nzw are classic meat rabbits.. maybe even think about getting a Californian buck ... they make incredible meat rabbits when crossed with the nzw doe.. thats what i breed...

again... your american whites are rare... and i'd sell them that way... just my 2 cents though

M.R. Lops

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Around here you can buy meat rabbits for anywhere from $5 to $15. I guess it just depends on the area you live in, and what prices are like there.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I bought a Champagne D'Argent for $10. I couldn't imagine selling them for more than that here (Oregon).

I recently bought three Silver Fox Rabbits (2 does, 1 buck) and their hutch for $100. Hubby and I had fun coming up with different amounts:

$10/rabbit and $70 for the hutch
or
$25/rabbit and $25 for the hutch
or
$15/rabbit and $55 for the hutch
or....

AZ Rabbits

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Around here, American Blues go from $45 to $65 each. American Whites are the same. New Zealands vary from $15 to $50 each, depending on the pedigree and stock.

Selling the meat is completely different. I've seen 8 week old fryers going from $10 to $15 each for human consumption. Smaller ones for animal food from $1.50 to $3.50 a pound.

greymane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would guess you would have no problem getting $15 for large meat rabbits in this area.

SillyChicken

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I sell meat rabbits for 15$ (processed or for pet). It's about the going rate for rabbit meat in my area.