How to keep water from freezing...

sc00ter4900

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I dont have power out to the rabbit but I bought these rubber bowls and they work really good. Got them from our feed store. The crocks were a waste of money.

Scotty

tiffanyh

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
He is right. Hot watercan freeze faster, it makes sense that it shouldnt, but it actually does, see below.

Bryannjamie wrote:

My only comment now would be not to fill waterers with hot water. It freezes faster than cold water, but tepid is okay

Basic thermodynamics. In order to freeze water must reach 32* or below.
If you start with hot water - pray tell - how do you think it freezes faster than cooler water?

For some reason I seem to hear this alot. My own mother even says it. Do an experiment and put two dishes in your freezer one hot and one tepid and see which one freezes first. It's gonna be the tepid one. However the hot water will freeze to a clearer consistency.
I have heard the too. I teach thermodynamics and I actually just taught this lecture this week- when the university was actually open for the one day this semester :) ! Although I don't teach this specific effect and just do straight enthalpy calculations but the phenomenon of hot water freezing faster is called the Mpemba effect. Supposedly a tried and true process involving the theoretical change in molecules as water freezes (what we think should happen) versus the actual process which is related to the environmental conditions as water cools in low temperatures.

Based on effect like evaporation of hot water and the amount of dissolved gas in a hot water sample, lowering mass and therefore, decreasing the energy needed to freeze a hot sample, the hot water will experimentally freeze first. Maybe not a solid freeze but an scientific term of freezing in which solid will appear in a sample from collision of molecules. Non uniform cooling may also lead to freezing faster as the cold mass on the bottom or outside can freeze first and before a uniformed cooling sample.

Check it out:
http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/mirrors/physicsfaq/General/hot_water.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect

tiffanyh

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sorry. I am a thread killer for some reason. Always have been. :p

Hope you got your answer OP!

tiffanyh

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have to say though, it is cold enough here in CT to have either freeze fast! :lol:

Bryannjamie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for your support Tiffanyh. Now what were some of you saying about old wives tales???:p