hutch building Qs and keeping cool Q

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Are you building this coop on your back porch? I see that you may possibly have a fungas growing ( white within the dark area) on the bottom of the wall on the building (in the photo... between the pen's legs). I hope not! :fl If so, and if it was mine, I would replace those boards, sooner than later, and any others that have this and any dry rot ( soft wood when using a nail or finger nail then pocking to test) on any others as well as on the porch. :idunno This may become much more costly in the future if not attended to. :hu I wish you luck!

Legacy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
LOL, I can tell that's not fungus growing, that's an all around fix-it-all. It's called great stuff. I recognize it because we have it in a lot of places in our house.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We winter rabbits in virginia in an outside hutch system. our hutche has a 2x2 wire front part and a 2x2 plywood back part, with a 2 inch gap all around the top where the roof is. That is the demensions for each rabbit space, the entire hutch hold 4 rabbits, so it is 8 feet by 4 feet total and heavy as all get out.

We put straw in the 2x2 spaces over the winter and wrapped the back half and side with plastic, that was the only shelter we offered them. They were fine. My father in law, has an even more opened up pen desisgn, were is cages are 4x4 all wire with a slanted metal rood over the top and a small nesting box set in each one for kindling and shelter for the rabbit, In the winter he puts old carpet over the top back and sides, and straw in the nest boxes. He kindles all year round with great success.

He has been raising rabbits all his life in virginia and he feels the warm summers can be more of a problem, Our hutch is up under some nice shade trees, but his is out in the open, with only the rood to offer shade to them,. They seem to do fine. He also uses rabbit tractos to get them out on pasture and they do quit well. Our hutch and his hutches are all just on the dirt, with wire floors to allow the poop to come through and then we clean out under them and use the manure in the gardens.

Feel free to ask other questions.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yea, it's Great Stuff expanding foam. House needs work all around, lol, we're getting to it.
Yes, it's on the deck. Might move it straight back onto the ground between the 5ft fence and the deck. Or drag it all around the house to..idk where yet, lol. Painted the wire with Rustolium and painted the wood with the same color as the house. :)
I'm more worried about the summer heat. The chickens can go as they please and they have a fan on max 24/7 from spring to fall. So not much issue for them. No idea what I'll do for the buns. Don't want, nor have the space, to have them in the house for any time.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
secuono said:
Yea, it's Great Stuff expanding foam. House needs work all around, lol, we're getting to it.
Yes, it's on the deck. Might move it straight back onto the ground between the 5ft fence and the deck. Or drag it all around the house to..idk where yet, lol. Painted the wire with Rustolium and painted the wood with the same color as the house. :)
I'm more worried about the summer heat. The chickens can go as they please and they have a fan on max 24/7 from spring to fall. So not much issue for them. No idea what I'll do for the buns. Don't want, nor have the space, to have them in the house for any time.
We all have stuff to fix around the house. lol!

Think it's coming along just fine. Better half, who's profession is inspecting structures, said looks good but has just one suggestion. More support to hold the cages. Other than that, we think it's great you can move to anywhere you want as you do the rest of the fixing up. Can't wait to see it when it's done and has bunnies in it. :)

Edited to add: Regarding the heat, understand your worries. But there are plenty of ways to keep them cool. Many ideas on this forum. Plus if it really gets hot, you can always bring them temporarily inside. Don't feel bad keeping them outside. Many thrive outside. Just read 20kid's post. And others who do. Yes, heat can kill any animal. You just do your best when it comes. Don't fret too much. :)

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, here is a sketch up of how it will look when it's done.
309963_251236214909894_100000705527207_839286_5074733_n.jpg

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are no crates and it's not to scale. I used 2x3s and then 1x6 wood fence boards for the back and roof. The bottom, front and two short sides are nothing but wire. I'm thinking of fencing up the bottom to let one out at a time to hop in the grass.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
secuono said:
There are no crates and it's not to scale. I used 2x3s and then 1x6 wood fence boards for the back and roof. The bottom, front and two short sides are nothing but wire. I'm thinking of fencing up the bottom to let one out at a time to hop in the grass.
Interesting. Making a small exercise run under the hutch. I've seen that before. Thanks for the further explanation of your design. Good Luck. Please post the finished product. :)

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's raining because of the hurricane, so everything is on hold until it stops long enough that I can do something. Don't have bottom wire though...