I want to make cheese....

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
... but I dont have dairy goats.
I have several lactating fainting goats though... who have some HUGE udders. One mom is curently being weened, the others have young kids.
How much milk would I need if I tried to milk 2-3 does???
can I milk them over a 3-4 day period and keep it in the fridge??

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Most recipes call for 1 gallon but am sure you can use 1/2 gal you will just get less cheese. We make the vinegar cheese it's really easy. We usually add garlic and chives after making it. We generally make 2 gal batches. The cheese is awesome crumbled over pasta with tomato sauce. You can make cheese with milk gathered for several days. I would say 4 days is a reasonable time. Ours doesn't last that long :). The cheese is delicious. I hope the girls let you milk them. I used to milk my angora goat when I had her and her milk was fine.

Georgiamainers

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
PattySh said:
Most recipes call for 1 gallon but am sure you can use 1/2 gal you will just get less cheese. We make the vinegar cheese it's really easy. We usually add garlic and chives after making it. We generally make 2 gal batches. The cheese is awesome crumbled over pasta with tomato sauce. You can make cheese with milk gathered for several days. I would say 4 days is a reasonable time. Ours doesn't last that long :). The cheese is delicious. I hope the girls let you milk them. I used to milk my angora goat when I had her and her milk was fine.
Would love your recipe!! :p

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Georgiamainers said:
PattySh said:
Would love your recipe!! :p
Sounds like the super easy cheese recipe...

Half gallon of milk
1/4 cup of vinegar (or lemon juice)
Seasonings of choice

Heat milk gently to 185* over medium low heat
Remove from heat and add vinegar
Don't stir
Once curds develop then pour into a cheese cloth lined strainer
Drain 2 hours
Mix in seasonings
Put into an airtight container

At least that's my vinegar cheese recipe...

Georgiamainers

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Was just watching a youtube video on it. Looks super easy to make. Think my neighbor makes this and adds lots of garlic and chives. It's so good! Another reason I got goats.

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's it, hubby made it this week with wild leeks. Wow was that good. He's generally the one who makes the cheese here. Has a double recipe draining right now. Received 45 free fall gold raspberry bushes (we dug them) off Craigslist from a nice lady one town over. Put them in yesterday and it's raining today so I am so excited. I am going to take her some fresh eggs and freshly made goat's cheese. Note: We also add salt when adding seasonings.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
You can also leave out the "seasonings" and just add salt and then some cream and make your own homemade Cottage Cheese.

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
this is great! thanks guys!
I'll start milking tomorrow.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You get approximately one pound of cheese from a gallon of milk if you are using it unpasteurized. Pasteurized milk will have a lower yield. So...you can do the math from there based on how much cheese you want to make. You can also store the milk in the freezer until you have a lot. It takes exactly the same amount of time to make ten pounds of cheese as it does to make half a pound.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Ariel301 said:
You get approximately one pound of cheese from a gallon of milk if you are using it unpasteurized. Pasteurized milk will have a lower yield. So...you can do the math from there based on how much cheese you want to make. You can also store the milk in the freezer until you have a lot. It takes exactly the same amount of time to make ten pounds of cheese as it does to make half a pound.
Good advice. But consider too that if you're experimenting and unsure of the taste result you have the potential to waste less when you only make a small batch.