I wanted to share a very easy goat cheese recipe.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
You can go higher than 185. I don't use a thermometer for this all the time, just don't boil it. It will not make curds in the classic sense of a solid block of curd that needs cutting as with rennet, but it will curdle into curd crumbs...best way to explain it.

No, the yeild is not much, maybe 15%? Just a guess.

I use a skimmer to get most of the curds into the cheese cloth, then strain the rest through a plastic collender (I have a mental block about spelling that word!) and give the whey to the pigs. The whey has no probiotics so it doesn't excite me as much as with the cooler mesophillic cheeses, under 110 for the hottest stage. My hens are sick of whey so before pigs, this hot process whey went down the drain. :hide

The whey will be yellow or slightly greenish and mostly clear. Your milk probably wasn't quite hot enough.

For something different and yummy, make a mold and press with a couple of plastic containers, like two quart size yogurt or sour cream containers that nest nicely. Drill holes with a very small drill bit in a diamond pattern and a few in the bottom, too. Or use a heated small finishing nail that you heat in a flame to poke small holes in a pattern.

Spoon the curds into the mold and sprinkle salt between the layers. Set the undrilled container on top of the curds and set a jar or bottle of warm water in that container to add some weight to it. I use a quart bottle to add two pounds of weight. Put it on a plate to catch the whey and raise it off the plate with a folded cloth or paper towels and check it occasionally so it is not sitting in a puddle of whey. Keep it at room temp for at least 24 hours.

When no more whey is coming out, unmold it onto a mat (I use needlepoint plastic from the craft store, cut to size) and put it in a container to age in the fridge for a while. Take the whey out of the container before it hits the bottom of the cheese. Give it a sniff each time and eat it when it smells really good to you, maybe two weeks or so, maybe more, maybe less, no rules!

You can also leave it at room temp longer for faster ripening. Turn it and salt all sides every day. Keep flies off it or it will get....yuk...maggots if it is fly season. It will form a dry rind this way and will be a firmer cheese.

No matter what you do with it, it will be....cheese!

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks. I made sure the milk went to 185, but maybe should have added more vinegar. I'll try adding lemon juice next time.

I let the curdle ball sit overnight to drain, but most of the cheese stuck to the cheese cloth. I was able to get about 3/4 cup of cheese and added a little seasonings.

Let me ask this - if you use fresh milk (taken within the last day or two) will it taste less "goaty"? My milk was probably 4-5 days old, and when I tasted the cheese this morning (granted, it was still warm and no seasonings) it was very goaty. I know it's an aquired taste, and that goat cheese from the store is WAY different from homemade, but I figured it might be somewhat close.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I make cheese from 7-10 day old milk a lot, but I rarely make cheese that is pasteurized. I think it is more the heating that makes it goaty. That is probably why most people add herbs and such.

Are you using "real" cheesecloth, or that gauze stuff that is sold in a package at grocery, hardware, and fabric stores as cheesecloth? Real cheesecloth is a muslin.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I make this cheese, but only heat the milk to 180* then remove from heat. I also use lemon juice (1/4 cup per quart if you like lemon flavor, 1/4 cup per 2 qts if you don't want the lemon flavor), as I prefer the lemony flavor to that of the vinegar. The curds are TINY. I pour into cheese cloth and only let it drain for about an hour, maybe a tad longer. I don't like it as crumbly, I like it a little softer.

My favorite so far has been this cheese with chopped basil and oregano with olive oil drizzled in. YUM!

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if the breed of goat makes a difference in the way milk or cheese taste. I know one thing, my Nubian Lenora's milk is mild and delicious. The only time it tasted funny was when we milked her and the kids were only about 10 days old. It was "strong" tasting then, but when they were 3 weeks old, it was great.

DonnaBelle

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Eloise is an alpine/nubian mix, and I know every goat is different in terms of butter/fat content (if that's the correct terms!) so maybe that's why.....

I am not acclimated to goat's milk, btw. I'm not a milk drinker myself; I've always had a "dairy" problem. Not too serious, but enough to where I monitor my dairy intake from time to time. Cow milk from the store always (and I mean always) tastes sour to me, which is another reason I don't drink it.

I've tasted her milk cold and raw (I don't pasturize) and to me her milk tastes comprable to store cow milk - sour! :hu

Guess it's just me - I'm slowly giving it to my son without him knowing; when I asked him if I could give him Eloise's milk he was like "NO WAY" :gig ....

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
glenolam said:
Guess it's just me - I'm slowly giving it to my son without him knowing; when I asked him if I could give him Eloise's milk he was like "NO WAY" :gig ....
:D

Back in the day..... :old ..... my son decided that No Way would he Ever drink goats milk. He thought that we were buying store milk for over a month ... when actually we were simply adding more goats milk to it. Once he found out... he could not complain about it, since he had been drinking it with No Problem. I did, however, assign him the job of "Quality Control" which he took very seriously.

johny1

Just born
Reaction score
Well, thank you for this interesting recipe, I'll try it out as soon as I can because it sounds very delicious. I wish I had a nice recipe to share too but right now I can't think of any.

Bryannjamie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just one thing to add. I do not like cheese cloth and have trouble throwing usable items out. I read that a white pillow case, washed first of course, works just as well. And it does!! I tore the pillow case open around the seams and lay it in the collander. When the cheese is out I just rinse it out and wash it in the washer. Sooo much easier:clap