I went to pick up 3 goats and came back with 6 Pics soon

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey
Today was the day! I have my girls! If you saw my other post you will remember how I said I was getting 3 goats. One Saanen that is pregnant, one Alpine that is pregnant and one 3 month Tog. Well.........:rolleyes:

We picked the girls out a week ago and the day after we saw them, the Alpine gave birth to twin girls. The farmer decided not to tell us and let it be a surprise. They are beautiful little alpine does. My only concern is that they will be warm enough. We have a heater in the stall with some hay bales stacked up around the walls as insulation. They girls are curled up in a little corner by the heater and the hay bales. It is suppose to drop down to 10 degrees tonight. What do you think?

Oh, and I should not have been concerned about the little Tog, Heidi, she has spunk. :lol: Heidi also had a sister that was going to go to the meat market. So, the farmer said that he would give us both for $100. We named her Gretchen.

The long and short of it is, we got 6 does of various ages for $600. Not bad. ;)

Their names are: The Tog sisters are Heidi and Gretchen. The pregnant Saanen's name is Trillium (as in the white three petaled flower). The Mother Alpine's name is Jolie Fille (that is French for "pretty girl" my whole family on my Mother's side is French Canadian). We haven't named the little doelings yet.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
:weee

My bottle babies are in a stall the barn under heat lamps, so your wee babies should be fine as long as it's draft free (sounds like it is!).

dkosh

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think you have it all set. The twins should be fine. The big worries are drafts. Keep them out of drafts and they should be warm enough with the heat lamp, hay and each othe. Post pics when you get a chance. :D

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
SAM_1358.jpg

The white Saanen is Trillium, the little brown Tog is Gretchen and the Alpine is Jolie Fille.

SAM_1351.jpg

SAM_1355.jpg

Those are the two doe twins. The heater is behind the wood plank and they are snuggled against the hay there as well.

SAM_1348.jpg

You will notice that Jolie Fille is in need of hoof trimming. Badly! These goats came from a dairy so I guess the farmer did not bother trimming them all individually since he had so many.

SAM_1360.jpg

Little Getchen. She is smaller than her sister, Heidi and a bit shy still, but she is so sweet.

SAM_1359.jpg

Heidi our little friendly spunky girl. She has a thing for chewing jackets and hair...:) I love her

SAM_1363.jpg

Heidi again.

SAM_1361.jpg

And Heidi's little sister. I love the white on Gretchen's face

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cute girls! Lucky you to get twin doelings in your first set of kids!

Are those pure Toggenburgs? I've never seen them colored quite like that, not sure they normally have spots...?

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They are 3/4 Toggenburg. The farmer didn't tell us what the other 1/4 was and I forgot to ask. :D I checked on the girls at 5:30 this morning to make sure they were okay. The babies were up having breakfast. Jolie Fille is wonderful mother. The water in the bottom of their water bucket was not even frozen. Yay! Our barn is warm enough. :lol:

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just noticed this but, does Trillium (the white Saanen) look thin to you?