ID Tags?

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I found the cow thread about tags. Was wondering how you kept your goats properly ID'd?? I'd rather not use a tag, is there another way?

I'm just a bit nervous about escape, since we're broke, can't afford to hot wire the big pasture, and yet they need room to roam - they need out of the pen. :)

Thanks!
-Laurie

Gone Country

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have no idea if it can be done on goats :hu ... but for ID purposes, some folks tattoo their dogs incase they ever run away. Guess its an idea anyway to look into.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We tattoo the ears of every goat here. Some use microchips, but that's a bit pricey.

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
mine get a tattoo and an ear tag - the tag can be cut out if the animal is stolen etc but the tattoo cant. But, the ear tag lets me identify my goaties from a distance, some of them you cant get right up close to, to read the tattoo, plus goaties hate having their ears handled! and dont often stand still for it :)

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Is the tattooing stuff expensive? Do you do it yourself? :/

Oh, and thanks!! :)

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, it is very easy to do. I have Nigerian Dwarves, so I purchased the Stone 5/16" Small Tattoo .300 set for around $40 at Hoegger Goat Supply online. It has the tongs, set of digits and ink. The tongs hold up to 4 digits. My hubby holds the goat while I tattoo.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
we tatto also, have a herd name registered with ADGA, they gave us "call letters" to put in one ear, then we use a Z for this year and then a number for the order of birth in the other ear, then have the papers to match the goat. you could still tatto for your own use, but would not be reconized by the powers that be. here in illinois, goats must have scrapie tags or tags with owners farm initials on it. we ordered the tags free from the state.

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

zatsenoughcritters4me

Many Critters
Reaction score
if you don't have a lot of goats you could always do a collar and a tag like a dog tag?? you could put your phone number on it, and the goats name? I have seen some goats that had this done. it is cute, but not practical of you have a lot of goats!

nightshade

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That is what I do. We have 12 goats right now and all have collars, ones with the metal latches not the plastic ones that break all the time.They are not that expensive, I get them at the dollar store or big lots. They don"t have them all the time so you have to watch for them. When they have them in for $2 or less I buy like 6 because it seems like some one is always losing their collar and when you get more goats you need more collars so it is good to have ones on hand. Some have smaller cow bells on so when they are free raging in my moms yard or on our lot in the woods I have an idea of where they are. I only have one belled goat per group they usually split up into or else it would sound like the transsiberian orchestra out there lol.