Ideas on fence corners anyone?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not really 100% sure, but with the tension wire all the way at the bottom of the brace, it's going to make the brace where it attaches to the corner post push up on the post (help push it up out of the ground). If you lean a ladder against a wall and then push the bottom toward the wall, the bottom of the ladder will move in while the top moves higher. I "think/believe/am pretty sure" the tensioner wire should actually be about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the brace so it's pulling the top of the brace down (supporting the corner post) and also pulling the bottom of the brace in and down (onto the brick support) so it can't move away.

But yeah, looks good, easy, fast, inexpensive, etc. :D

If done /\ that way, the tensioner will either break the diagonal brace post or cause it to severely bow down in the middle in very short order, as well as pulling the fastener out of the top of the diagonal post.
Soarwitheagles has done it 100% correctly.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use the cris-cros method in many different areas of life...yep, I cris-cros my fingers for better luck with sheep, fencing, bees, you name it, I cris-cros it! :lol:
That should be your farm name! Cris- cros Farm!

@greybeard thanks for posting some of the best well written info on this subject. Not sure if you have or not but this would be great "articles" material!
:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

..and no I don't really have 3 thumbs but thought it was deserving of 3 ;)

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here is how mine are built.
20160508_160141.jpg

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is also a very good method of construction--the time-honored H, with diagonal wire across the brace.
(if the fence to the left of the photo doesn't go very far, it's probably a bit of overkill)

Goatchaser

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You all will hate my corner and in-line posts then....
Have a few, slightly different than pictured, for a field fence I put up last year. And just put up 7 for a tight hot fence.
Works for me, but not under the much higher forces that professionally installed fences are on.
View attachment 16172
Wow that looks familiar!! In a pinch, and poor pte planning on my part, I did this same thing.... and it works GREAT!!!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
We used a T post kit that we got at tractor supply.

http://www.wedgeloc.com/

Our ground is undiggable and rocky and there was no way I was digging the holes. I literally had to use a drill with a 1" spade bit for one post. After that I gave up. We couldn't get a tractor where we needed holes and no money to rent an auger and it probably would have broken my wrist. The kit works well, it has been 8 years and still holding strong. We even stretched fence from it and when I stretch fence I REALLY stretch it. I use a come-along. :)

To keep my goats from using my fence as a back scratcher I have a row of hot wire at goat knee height.

Sorry if I'm dredging up old threads.

My land is like yours, rocks small and large everywhere. In fact I think people that came before me figured out every place I might want to dig a hole (fence post, garden, whatever) and determined that was THE best place to bury some unwanted rocks, covered with about 6" of dirt.

Having read the @greybeard writeup on running fence around a corner post (stopping the run rather than continuing around the corner to the next post) how does the Wedgeloc corner square (pun not intentional) with the idea that running the fence around the post will tend to pull it and the brace posts inward? How does one put tension on the field fence and attach it to the T-post tight so the "end" can be brought back around the post and connected to the long run of fencing? I understand how it works when you can slam staples into a wood post to hold the fence tight.

Thanks.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I run mine around the corner when using the wedgelock. I just made sure that the corner T-post was good and strong. I have only used it on one corner, the other ones are attached to oak trees...gotta love the mighty oak.