If i get a pig will it eat me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

outlawfarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I can only tell you our 2 bit my kids leg and left a bad bruise. I was ready to kill, but realized it was done on accident. They pull on anything interesting, old feed bags, tarps, and ropes. So when she had on her little colorful skirt they tried to pull on it and play but got her leg through the skirt. If I hadn't played tug of war putting up a tarp one day I wouldn't have known about this habbit. So I taught her and brother to kick the if.they get too close and seem to be disrwspectul. She now gwtsthen to lay at her feet for petting. So just remember the y can take a finger off but if treated right, they just want to be treated like a dog...

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
If your in the movie Hannibal, yes they will kill you, lol but in all seriousness they can be dangerous if poorly treated. They are rather intelligent animals.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Oh for goodness sakes! Dogs can be dangerous, Cows can be dangerous, Horses can be dangerous, Goats can be dangerous, sheep can be dangerous if they are not trained and socialized properly. You can get seriously injured or killed by any one of those animals.

I raised pigs when I was a kid. From the time I was ten until I was 17. I loved them. They were clever and they were very curious animals. YES they are strong. Yes they are powerful. Yes they CAN be dangerous if they are not trained carefully and if they are not socialized. I was never bitten, trampled, stomped or threatened by my pigs. I was squished between the gate and the fence once, because Bacon wanted a scratch and I didn't get out of the way fast enough for him to get through the gate, but I wasn't hurt. I didn't stick my hand in the trough when they were eating. They have pretty powerful mouths. But I slipped and fell in the pen a couple times and they usually walked over, sniffed me and pushed me out of the way.

But if they are socialized, and trained, they will be fine. They are omnivores. They eat meat. They have been known to hunt. Keep them fed or they will hunt live prey.

If you are afraid of them, stay away from them and don't get any.

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
outlawfarmer said:
I can only tell you our 2 bit my kids leg and left a bad bruise. I was ready to kill, but realized it was done on accident. They pull on anything interesting, old feed bags, tarps, and ropes. So when she had on her little colorful skirt they tried to pull on it and play but got her leg through the skirt. If I hadn't played tug of war putting up a tarp one day I wouldn't have known about this habbit. So I taught her and brother to kick the if.they get too close and seem to be disrwspectul. She now gwtsthen to lay at her feet for petting. So just remember the y can take a finger off but if treated right, they just want to be treated like a dog...
Kicking isn't exactly treating them right.... a light slap at the back of the ear where it connects to the skull should be enough.... it certainly is for my 550 pound boar.

outlawfarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Im willing to bet a 5year olds kick with rubbwr boots on doesnt hurt 150lb animal too much. Certainly less than getting bit by one again.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lions and tigers and pigs Oh My!

Sorry--I know it's a legit and serious question. There's all sorts of lore on the internet regarding people being eaten by pigs, and tho I am sure it has happened, it's a rarity. Some say, tho I have been unable to find any stats verifying any of it:

"Did you know that more people are killed and eaten by pigs each year than are struck by lightning"
"More people are killed and eaten by pigs in the USA than are killed by sharks the world over"

I've read countless news articles in my lifetime about people being killed by lightening and sharks (I was struck by lightning myself when I was 15) but I have never read a single news account, or seen one on the 10 o'clock news regarding anyone being killed and eaten by pigs. So evidently, I stood a greater chance of being hit by lightning than eaten by pigs.

Considering the billions of pigs that have been raised thru out just the modern age of agriculture, and so very few instances of anyone being killed and eaten by them, I would say the liklihood of you being killed and eaten is extremely remote.

from Elmer Kelton's novel The Good Ol Boys:

"Let's gut shoot Burt and leave him for the hogs"

;)

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
outlawfarmer said:
Im willing to bet a 5year olds kick with rubbwr boots on doesnt hurt 150lb animal too much. Certainly less than getting bit by one again.
Outlaw, I simply pointed out your comment on respect and that pigs just want to be treated like a dog... I don't kick a dog or a pig, sheep, goat... name your critter. You also said child... I have a child, he just happens to be 180 pounds and 6'3". Little children grow up to be big children and if they are taught to kick young that will be their method of defence. I get you don't want your child to be bitten whether by a dog or a curious pig but there are other ways of dealing with this IMO.. but it is just that My Opinion.

Greybeard... :gig ! On that note it also sounds like you'd have a better chance of being killed by a dog than a pig.... who'd of thunk it, even with the US wild boar issues. :idunno

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dunno--I've never been bitten by a dog, tho I have been snakebit 2 years ago this month. (copperhead). Obviously I didn't die, but I wanted to. It really really really hurt.
Pigs don't worry me none
Been shot at, shot up, shot down, hit by lightning and snakebit and still kickin'. . (I need to go to Vegas.)

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
greybeard said:
Dunno--I've never been bitten by a dog, tho I have been snakebit 2 years ago this month. (copperhead). Obviously I didn't die, but I wanted to. It really really really hurt.
Pigs don't worry me none
Been shot at, shot up, shot down, hit by lightning and snakebit and still kickin'. . (I need to go to Vegas.)
:old you make me :lol:

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
greybeard said:
Pigs don't worry me none
I've been bitten by dogs, lol. I use to train them. More people die by Dogs than Pigs. Though Hog confinement pigs in my experience are mean and will happily bite you. I don't really blame them.

Status
Not open for further replies.