increasing milk production in Nigerian Dwarf doe.

redwoodfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just purchased a few ND does and one is in milk with a 3 month old by her side. The person I got her from got too busy to milk and just let the kid free feed on the mother. what is the best way to increase the amount of milk she is producing? If i move the doeling into a pen at night will that help with the amount of milk I can get in the morning?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If the kid is still with the doe, you aren't going to get much milk. She's probably producing plenty of milk, the kids just drinking it all.

A 3 month old can drink plenty, that's when a doe is at peak lactation.

Yes, you could seperate at night and milk in the morning.

But, the kid is old enough to be weaned, so if you want to get as much milk as possible you should seperate and milk twice per day.

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
First, if you want the milk wean the baby. I wean at 8 weeks. Milk twice a day. If you still want more milk, you can milk 3x day and that will start to increase the milk. You can feed alfalfa (or alfalfa pellets). Make sure she has plenty of water. Water = milk. I also add a handful of Golden Grow (or calf manna) to increase protein intake. I feed grain on the milkstand with alfalfa pellets and free choice 24/7 good grass hay.

There are several differing opinions about increasing milk. You can look throughout the forum and even google "milk production increase goats" and you can get more info. Then you can decide what works for you.
-K