Is my goat pregnant or sick?

backyard-menagrie0429

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a Lamancha doe who has been acting strange lately. I was administering Safe-guard to my goats (no signs of serious parasitic infection, just as a precaution), and after giving a dose to one of my does as well as some Nutri-drench, she became very lethargic and had clumpy/soft stool. She is typically very noisy and energetic, but is now quiet and distant. Her eyelids are pink, so she's not anemic. I haven't seen any more of the soft stool over the past few days, however I haven't seen her pass anything lately, so either I just haven't been around her when she does or she is constipated. Her abdomen is noticeably larger and tighter than it was a few weeks ago. I've given her baking soda, electrolyte water, and even an enema in case she's constipated. She lays down a lot but upon getting her back up, she starts nibbling at grass and grain (although very slowly). I'm confident this all started after the dewormer, as my other doe was slightly lethargic and had soft stool as well, but went back to normal soon after. Both have been exposed to a buck in the past few weeks, and they just dried up from their previous milk freshening. Any ideas?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some take longer to get "over it".....dying worms emit a toxin. The goat may have had more reaction than the other. I'd give good hay, fresh water & stop the rest until she is normal. Her gut biomes have been disrupted. Baking soda & min free choice is fine. Just watch her a couple days. Check temp, in case fever.

Otherwise, sounds pretty normal.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree with above - especially about taking her temp.

Have you seen her chewing cud? She might benefit from some probiotics. If you don't have commercial probiotics, I have found that flat dark beer does wonders for jump-starting the rumen. It won't hurt her to give it even if she doesn't need it.

Hope she bounces back. Please let us know how she does!

backyard-menagrie0429

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Agree with above - especially about taking her temp.

Have you seen her chewing cud? She might benefit from some probiotics. If you don't have commercial probiotics, I have found that flat dark beer does wonders for jump-starting the rumen. It won't hurt her to give it even if she doesn't need it.

Hope she bounces back. Please let us know how she does!
Her temp was high (105.7), which is much higher than the 99 I got from her a few days ago. She did just drink a lot of water, including some of the electrolyte mix, on her own without my coaxing, and walked off to lay down in one of her favorite spots in the pen. I'll try giving her some beer for the probiotics.

backyard-menagrie0429

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If a temp....she's prob sick. I'm thinking a common pneumonia. Have any penicillin or tetracycline on hand?
I don't. She hasn't been coughing and has an increased appetite compared to right after administering the dewormer. I feel like it's not pneumonia but the temp spike from under 100 to above 103 is strange.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
101-103 is pretty normal. 105.7 not so. But watch & check. Then, if staying up & still lethargic, vet.

Is milk still fluid? No lumps, etc.