Is my Heifer Bred??

LimoGirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi, i have a 22 month-old limousin heifer that had been in with a bull ever since she was born (not related to each other at all), we sold the bull in October (2011) and he had defiantly got our other cow pregnant. (we only have 2 right now) she hasn't shown any signs of estrus for a long while. she is acting the same as she always has, sweet and a suck up. she is also very fat in the stomach, but we are not sure if she is going to calf or is just fat. she also has been getting a couple spots where her hair isn't as thick as in other places near her shoulders and hind end, could the other cow have been riding on her because she was coming in to heat? also our cows usually calf from the end of march to mid-may if that helps :D

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
:welcome Glad you joined BYH!!! I am not a cow person but, (Hopefully soon to be learning about them) hope you find the A to your Q!!!
:frow

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you got her preg-checked by a vet, or even had a blood-test done on her to confirm her pregnancy? Quite often loss of hair around the flank and hindquarters does indicate that she's been ridden a lot (from being in heat obviously), so there could be something wrong that the bull nor you and your folks have been able to detect. She may have an abnormal reproductive tract (like unattached cervix or uterus), or cystic ovaries or something else that should be checked by a vet. If there is anything wrong you may have to just fatten her up for the freezer.

BTW, I (or we) would love to see a picture of her if you can.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Prob not pregnant because she was with the bull sinse being born. I think she would have had a calf by now.
Not too good to leave a heifer calf anywhere near a bull as he will serve them when they are way too young. Your bull went in Oct so she might calve at the very latest in July so keep an eye on her or do a preg check.
Good luck and welcome to the forum ;)

redtailgal

Reaction score
I'd have the vet do a pelvic preg check or you may could find a local dairy-man who would do it a little cheaper than a vet.

Royd is right though, best not to leave a heifer in with the bull until it is time to breed her. I've seen heifers bred too young, slough off a calf and never be bred again.

But on the positive side, I've always thought that heifers didnt look pregnant as quickly as seasoned cows did. The younger ones tend to loook trimmer until the very end and put on an udder much later, while seasoned cows will often look like their bout to bust before the bull finishes his smoke.

There are exceptions to every rule of course.

As for the hair loss, check for mites or lice, and skin fungus (if its been damp where you are). Otherwise, chalk it up to be ridden.

LimoGirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Great pics Limo
I really dont think she's preg - sorry ( will be happy if you prove me wrong) but she looks a fantastic chunk of meat for your freezer

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
LimoGirl said:
Here are 2 pics of her this morning:
Charlotte003.jpg

Charlotte001.jpg

Finally! i never thought that she was going to get an udder! :D She must have gotten a lot bigger recently, i have never been able to see it in her fuzzyness :clap
Charlotte002.jpg
Put them as pictures for you.

WildRoseBeef

Reaction score
I highly doubt she's bred, and that's not much of an udder, if you ask me. Her teats are way too close together, and all I see is teats and no bag.

She's definitely over-conditioned, much too fat for her to be able to even have a calf or give birth properly.

Like Royd said, she'll make good freezer beef with the condition she's in.

I'd love to see the other cow though...

redtailgal

Reaction score
I gotta agree, I dont see a pregnant animal there.

But, I dont think she is over conditioned either (no disrespect intended Wildrose). She looks like a healthy beef in her shaggy winter coat.

That bare spot on her rump......is the skin raw at all? If she'll stand for you, I'd suggest giving it a wash in a betadine solution and treating with some trip-antibiotic ointment.