Is my Heifer Bred??

Royd Wood

Reaction score
redtailgal said:
while seasoned cows will often look like their bout to bust before the bull finishes his smoke.
Thats a funny
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks redtail

Yes I would check for lice as its been a bad winter for them - or in our case NO winter just damp

redtailgal

Reaction score
Lol, Royd. I'm glad you got a laugh out of it.

I went back and checked your pics again, and had to add another comment.

Honestly, she looks like she could be a good brood cow for lil baby beefs. Her udder is showing, yes, but I think that she is just "growing" up. Hard to tell from pics, but I dont think she's bred. If she has a personality that is as nice as her butt, I'd hold on to her and see if she could throw me some steers with that rear end. (In my mind,I'm seeing a nice pot roast with potatoes and carrots. )

Like I said though, it's hard to tell from a pic, she may pop out a calf for you this summer.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Yeah, she don't look pregnant yet at least. Young mothers often don't show much until the last few months. She does look like a nice potential brood cow. May she provide you plenty of baby beefers in the future.

LimoGirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef said:
I highly doubt she's bred, and that's not much of an udder, if you ask me. Her teats are way too close together, and all I see is teats and no bag.

She's definitely over-conditioned, much too fat for her to be able to even have a calf or give birth properly.

Like Royd said, she'll make good freezer beef with the condition she's in.

I'd love to see the other cow though...
i have to admit the picture does not do her mini udder justice, underneath her fuzzy down there there is a smallish bag and her teats are perfect, i guess it was just the way that i took the pic. :) but she does not have a lot of fat on her, she just has a VERY thick coat all year long! i feel very sorry for her in the summer ;) but she is a special heifer because she was the last of our main breeding cow that was the best tempermented cow on earth, and she was our best show cow, but unfortunately she had to be put down because of a broken leg last spring :hit. so we will NEVER freezer either of them, both of the cows are her daughters :) and i am also proud to say that yes, both of our cows have HUGE hind ends on them :)
@redtailgal- that goodness, but no, it is not raw skin, it is just bald. we are thinking that she might have lice, but we cant ivo-mec (?) her if she is in calf.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would think it would be worth it to have the vet out at some point. Sometimes a cyst can prevent conception and that would be a pretty simple fix. Where I work, it isn't worth it $-wise to keep a cow a whole extra year who won't be producing (unless it's summer and she can sneak around the dry cow pasture!). But since you're keeping her anyway, it'd be good to know one way or another if she's bred or can be.

Have you tried bumping a calf on her? I can't do it for beans (usually find a cow who eats too much!), but sometimes that'll wake the calf up enough so you can feel it kicking. I used to belly up to my cow and scratch her back. What a beautiful cow! Sorry to hear about the mom. I had a steer go down on ice a couple of years ago. We went about a month having to tail him up, and he seemed better but I decided to butcher him just in case. (Every once in a while we'd come across a package of steak that was too tough to eat--guess it was scarred--gross). Must have been awful when you hadn't planned on ever butchering her!

Good luck and let us all know what happens!

LimoGirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
---
LimoGirl said:
Here is our other, definatly in calf cow, she is a 5 year old Pure bred Limousin :D
Charlotte006.jpg

Charlotte005.jpg

Charlotte004.jpg

She has had 2 bull calves so i hope that third time is a charm and we get a heifer from her this year :p

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
With the rubbed spot on the tailhead, I'd guess she's been being ridden recently. That would suggest that she's not bred. JMHO!

LimoGirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
@WildRoseBeef- Thanks for doing that with the pics, again :D also thanks for saying that about her, i like her too, and to pull it off, she has the sweetest temperment :p
That is really too bad about the heifer :( , i was looking forward to a calf from her this year, but i guess i have the other one to look forward too :D I REALLY hope that it is a heifer, like i said before, i hope that third time is the charm :fl heifer please!! ;)